Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect Wii to PC Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

I have an old WII console that I want to hook up to use the monitor on my PC, and of course still get the sound.

My video card is a GeForce GTX 760 which has one Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort. 

The Monitor is an Acer G236HL that has one DVI that I am currently using, and a standard VGA female connector.

Can anyone tell me how I can hook it up to use my monitor instead of the TV? It is the older WII game, maybe one of the original models. I'm really not sure.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

You must get an adapter that converts the Wii's analog video signals to signals compatible with HDMI.

Found some on Amazon.com Here is one. And here is another. Not sure if those are the same products, they might be, Amazon can be tricky.

Edited by Gorbulan, 13 October 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#3 zeekstern

zeekstern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Gorbulan. I need to know all the parts/cables/adapters I would need. That might be one of them, but there is probably more. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to hook it up. I tried one of those adapters but it does not come with any instructions.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

You need:

1. Wii Adapter

2. HDMI to DVI Cable (that is 6 feet long. There are longer ones if you need on Amazon.)

3. One audio cable, if it matches your setup...

DVI will not carry sound to the monitor. The adapters I posted have a port for connecting a sound cable. But if your monitor does not have an HDMI port, it most certainly does not have a port for connecting a sound cable. You will need to connect the Wii adapter to your regular speaker set up. I can't really advise on that unless I know how your speakers are connected.

#5 zeekstern

zeekstern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

I don't have a sound card so my speakers are just plugged into the green port labeled "line out" on my motherboard. There are 6 of those ports. The speakers are real cheapos. I might have paid $10 for them:)) Is 3.5 the standard size for that?

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yep. The typical audio cable is a 3.5 mm. You can plug in your computer speakers to the Wii adapter to get sound.

#7 zeekstern

zeekstern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

It looks pretty simple now. The only problem/issue that I can see is in lucking out with the adapter. Reading the reviews on Amazon, it looks like I'll have a 50/50 chance of getting one that works and also one that the sound jack stays in place. :)) I found one that is twice the price but has only a few bad reviews, and the support team was very quick to address their problems. Of course, it isn't on Amazon.

Thanks for all of your help on this Gorbulan. I really appreciate it!!

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

You're welcome!

Lucking out with a product like that is always an issue. I have an adapter that allows me to use my PS3 controller on my PC as though it was an official Xbox 360 controller. Product works perfect but if I leave it on the "DirectInput" mode at boot, it will stall my computer...and only my computer!

I more recently got a product that allows me to use Wii controllers on my PC, Balance Board included. It works great except the IR bulbs in it die prematurely so it does not last. This is my second one! (no more warranty for me) Best solution is to solder in my own better quality bulbs. It's a $15 item! Baahhh!

Good luck zeekstern!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users