Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect email entered on windows 10, can't access computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gartom

gartom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

My father, the techno idiot has managed to enter the wrong email address on his computer, instead of ****@btinternet.com he has entered bt.com which doesn't exist!

SO when he switches on his computer he can't get past the first screen because it's saying his password is incorrect so please go to you account live, he can't because he can't start the computer to get there!

I tried on mine until it dawned on me I can change the password for him as many times as he likes BUT because he's entered a non existent email address he can never receive the emails for a password reset.

Please for the love of god and before my parents end up in a divorce is there any way round this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

It should not have allowed him to get that far if the e-mail address entered does not exist.  This is part of creating a Microsoft account, and you are required to log in to the account at some point to verify it.

If you know the actual full mistaken e-mail address he entered you should be able to log in to the Microsoft Account on microsoft.com and do a change password from there.  You can select a mobile phone or alternate e-mail address to send the verification code to in order to change the password.  Give that a try and see if you can log in to the Microsoft account because if you can, and change the password, the new password is what will be wanted by the PC itself.

After that I'd suggest setting up either a strictly local account on the machine or creating a new Microsoft account with the correct e-mail address, adding it to the PC, then eliminating the PC account with the incorrect e-mail address.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

Under Windows 7, there might have been a backdoor/external boot solution; and/or booting into the built-in admin acct.

I'm not a W10 person, is there an active admin acct within your dad's computer?  Did somebody make a Repair/Restore USB or DVD before this happened?  Seasoned BC techs can tell you if an external USB or DVD boot exists to give you backdoor access.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 gartom

gartom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

Thank you.

Managed to get the code sent to my email address but then it takes me to apage where I have to enter the subject lines for sent email addresses etc?!

Not sure dad has ever sent an email in his life so it's looking like a dead end :-(   I've sent it in for "review" so lets hope they will then just let us reset the password

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

gartom,

You should be able to complete the process for him via specifying alternates (usually texting to a phone or an alternate e-mail address to use [your own]) to complete the process.

What on earth does your father use the computer for if not e-mail and/or web browsing?  [That's not meant to be a snotty/snarky question, but a real one.]

If he really doesn't do e-mail and isn't going to do so then I'd definitely set up an administrator account on the machine for someone else in the family so that they can get in if necessary.  A local account would probably be best for him and without password protection.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

britechguy, that's why I have admin acct active -- 'cause I also make big mistakes once in awhile.  My guess is that OP's dad surfs the net for his reading material, to keep up with stuff in his stockNtrade.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 gartom

gartom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

I'l try again, don't worry Bri not taken as snarky I appreciate the help, trust me I've been plenty snarky with my parents!

It's my mums old computer and he only uses it for web browsing and playing his airplane PC games, he's nearly 70.

I suspect if I put in my mums email address I could easily change the password BUT she won't allow us to do that incase it messes up her computer (same email address) so we're at a Mexican stand off with the pair of them!

#8 gartom

gartom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

Is there  a way to change the email address that shows above the password box?  as we know the password is correct

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

gartom,

I'm really confused now.   If MS has created an account, even with an e-mail address that's not correct, but you are able to log in to the MS account on their website using the password you have, you should be able to do precisely the same thing from the computer.  Those passwords are not different.

You can change the e-mail address associated with an MS Account.  Log in to the account on the MS site.  Click on the "Your Info" tab at the top of the account page (just to the right of the Home tab, which is where you land on login), then click on the "Manage your sign-in e-mail or phone number" link.  You will have to re-enter your current password after clicking this link as a security measure.  You will then also need to have a verification code sent to a phone or e-mail on file or use the "I don't have any of these" option.

I hope you can get this sorted out soon.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 gartom

gartom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

RIght, I've done all that just waiting to hear back from parents to see it it's worked.    

It's hilarious listening to them over the phone, I think both computers old and new were or are initially linked to mums ms account.  I've gone onto her account and changed the password for them, but they're insisting that it won't work on dads (mums old) computer as he has put the wrong email address down........................I appreciate all your help but if this doesn't work then I give up I can't cope with the stress of helping them anymore!  lol

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

gartom,

I do freelance technical support "for home and small business users" as one of my ways of making a living.  I have many clients like your parents and it's good that I generally have the patience of a saint and unbelievably strong restraint on what I actually allow myself to say when I don't.

It's far easier to help someone who's not a friend or family because they're much more of a blank slate.  The baggage that comes with parents is enough to deal with as it is!!

~ Brian Vogel

#12 gartom

gartom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

So true!

#13 mbarberio

mbarberio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hi,

i am having the same problem on WIN 10 and yes, it seems strange, but there is no confirmation to the email address entered at the moment of the registration. I am fighting with MS Support to solve this case but it is not so simple.....no solution at the moment.

Any suggestion / help is welcome.

Massimo 

#14 BonnieW

BonnieW

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

I have a similar issue.  I had to delete my hotmail account because it was hacked.  Now I cannot change in my Windows 10 laptop so I can not get into it in anyway.  Help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users