Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undo Restore?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 erie addict

erie addict

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

My sister has a computer with word. she uses it mostly as a woed processor for college. For some unknown reason she decided to do a system restore. After restoring the computer a bunch of her word and exel files have gone missing. I have tried to fib=nd them on the hard drive by doing a search and also using Windows explorer. They seem to have vanished. Is there a way to undo a restore? I went into XP help and there are instructions for undoing a restore. It says to click on the undo restore button in restore. There is n't any undo button on my restore page. How do i undo restore? Where would the files be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

What if System Restore doesn't fix the problem? Can I undo the changes System Restore makes?

Yes. Every time you use System Restore, a restore point is created before proceeding, so you can undo the changes if they don't fix your problem.

To undo the changes System Restore makes

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.

Administrator permission requiredIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Allow.

Click Choose a restore point from a list, and then click Next.

In the list, select the restore point that is labeled Undo, and then click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

Supposedly undoing a System restore is using system restore and going forward in time, but this may not work. The files should not have been removed but alas this is Windows. The best thing in the future with any important data is to back up the data before doing anything like this at all.

There are companies that do data recovery and they are a bit pricey. I really hope she can get the files back and wish the best .

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

This site is from a MVP from Microsoft and is quite the person with system restore things, it might be a good idea for you to take a stroll thru his site for a solution to your problem

How to Use System Restore Bert Kinney MVP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users