Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System File Checker (SFC) tool

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 boeing1079

boeing1079

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

I am running Windows XP Home and have some corrupted system files. They usually don't crash the system, but I am unable to run certain software. For example, my Firefox browser crashes on startup every time, and I am unable to run a Norton scan (although I am protected).

I have run System Fie Checker (SFC) with the \scannow switch in the Command Prompt window. It opens up a Windows File Protection window with a progress bar and the label "Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions".

It takes quite a long time to run and seems to complete satisfactorily, but I get no comments at the end (i.e. replaced files, unable to replace files, no action required).

I am also unable to find a log file (CBS.log) to let me know what was done.

Not sure what I may be doing wrong; any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

I've never found looking at a log file for the sfc /scannow command to be useful...but I don't like doing anything unnecessary.  Simply put, the log only tells me what I would expect in certain instances...or it tells me nothing at all.  Nothing at all means there are no problems addresses which could not be resolved by running the command once...in which case. I simply run it again if it appears that a second running may be warranted.

The command replaces files as it goes...when done, it simply fades into the sunset.

I still go by the most basic rule of life...if there is no pain, I don't worry about the lack thereof.  If your system exhibits no indication of a problem...I suggest not looking for something to fret over.

FWIW

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users