Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event viewer reports error when using usb memory sticks etc. but the devices are

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

The following is a copy of a post I made recently on the Microsoft Community forum and for which, so far, I have had no reply.  Hopefully someone on this forum may be able to offer some advice:

I still run an XP Pro SP3 desktop but it is not connected to the internet.  I also use a Windows 7 desktop that does have an internet connection.  Sometimes I use usb memory sticks to transfer files between the two computers.

Even though the memory sticks work perfectly well in the XP system, whenever I  use them the Event Viewer reports an error 'RSM could not load media in Drive 0 of library USB Flash Drive USB device' or similar.  I also get similar errors when I use the front panel card reader (included when new so not a later installation).  Windows 7 reports no errors with the same devices.

This appears merely a nuisance rather than a problem for me because, as I have said, everything is working fine.  I would be grateful for comments and advice from other forum members who may be able to offer some sort of explanation.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Wild guess would be damaged USB drivers in the XP install.

I would start with uninstalling each item in Device Manager/USB which cites itself as a "controller" (don't fiddle with "hubs", "devices", or anything else...just the ones under USB which have "controller" in the description.  Then I would reboot and allow the USB drivers to reinstall automatically.

Louis

#3 Kester

Kester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:53 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply.  It was something I should have thought of and tried before so your suggestion was very worthwhile.

Unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue so the problem remains a mystery.  Perhaps it's just one of those Windows enigmas.  Fortunately, as I have said before, everything still works properly so perhaps I will just have to live with it.

regards, Kester.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

Well...I would now uninstall the card reader drivers...reboot and allow them to reinstall.  The fact that it's a native device on the system now experiencing a problem may point to those drivers gumming up the system works.

Worth a look, IMO:  USB Problems, MS FixIt - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices .

Good luck :).

Louis

#5 Kester

Kester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi Louis,

I uninstalled the card reader drivers and rebooted the system and the problem is still there so the mystery continues.  Perhaps I shouldn't use the word 'problem' because, except for the error report in the Event Viewer, all my usb devices behave normally and I can read and write to SD cards in the built-in card reader.  So the drivers seem to be doing their job.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts to help me.

Regards,  Chris (Kester)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users