Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

thunderbird mystery very old profile appeared from nowhere

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

hi

hope someone can throw light on this. i just restored a Mozbackup thunderbird profile i made yesterday [i checked the date] and ended up with my proper [current] folders but emails [700 of them] and acct settings where for an isp i had 2 years go

so now thunderbird trys to get emails from the very old tiscali server instead of my current orange server acct

mystery i cant solve

thanks

Edited by superqaz, 13 October 2015 - 06:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

If the account settings are for the old account, did you try changing it to current account settings?

Open Thunderbird. Tools/Account Settings.

Highlight account name at the top, delete old info, enter new.

Click Server Settings, delete old incoming server, enter new setting.

Click Outgoing Server, click edit and change the server settings. Click OK.

Next click OK in the main server settings.

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

havent done that yet but thats not the main issue, im wondering was else has been changed and why it happened

thanks

#4 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:44 AM

now ive found that  emails in the inbox have been lost ive tried to enter correct settings which didnt work,  even my isp support couldn't person make it work again after taking remote control of my pc. and its not popular issue on this site it seems. i'll treat this post as dead

Edited by superqaz, 15 October 2015 - 04:48 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

I use Thunderbird and my impression is that...if you want to add an old profile to a current account...you should import it.

If you replace a current account with an older one...of course, Thunderbird will reflect what previously transpired, rather than current emails that have been replaced.

Not sure what you mean by "restored".

Louis

#6 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

i restored the mozbackup that i made day before ,doing that made my acct settings as they had been 2 years before , the folders i had MADE myself were correct but inbox and sent folders gone.....also, when doing another backup the same day shortly after discovering this nonsense i saw [in a flash] the older called "sent" for my correct server being backed up, so i know its there but not where . i have looked in other folders etc

ive seen mention that this can happen but i thought maybe i could find out how and why and recover my inbox folder. odd thing is that is another computer, i think the old setting more have been in an old backup that got transferd to the new pc
thanks

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Louis, I'm also a moderate-user of Mozilla Thunderbird for some time now.  I've even copied tbird appdata folders from desktop to laptops without any problems [after deleting receiving computers' folders first]. 

He probably used MozBackup[?]  to restore an older profile snapshot onto his present profile.
I think one problem that tbird has:  it does not always play nice when an older profile is simply copied on top of a still-existing new profile.

In the past, I've always deleted appdata local and roaming folders before doing any such restore.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 October 2015 - 03:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

Louis, I'm also a moderate-user of Mozilla Thunderbird for some time now.  I've even copied tbird appdata folders from desktop to laptops without any problems.  He used MozBackup[?]  to restore an older profile snapshot onto his present profile.  I think one problem that tbird has:  it does not always play nice when an older profile is simply copied on top of a still-existing new profile.  In the past, I've always deleted appdata local and roaming folders before doing any such restore.

thanks that sounds sensible, will remember that

#9 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:58 AM

am still wondering about this if anyone has a comment: when doing another backup the same day shortly after discovering this nonsense i saw [in a flash] the older folder called "sent" for my correct server being backed up, so i know its there but not exactly where . i have looked in other folders etc

thanks`

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users