Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What features should be taken into consideration when choosing mobile AV and AM?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hi all!

As of 2015, Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware protection has become equally important both in the computer and mobile market, as the borders of computer and mobile usage is gradually being grayed out, because of social mediums like Facebook, Twitter and the like.

So, now I am wondering: What features should be taken into consideration when choosing mobile AV and AM?

Please discuss!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 October 2015 - 08:14 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

AV or AM on iOS is not useful. It's an app without any special rights, just like the other apps, so it has not access to the complete filesystem.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 798 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi, Didier!

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply! :)

Yes sir, I understand your point, since iOS is a 'closed' mobile OS, because the App Store is 'closed' – with its verification process.

However, what about other mobile OSes; Google Android and Windows Phone?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 15 October 2015 - 07:40 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

However, what about other mobile OSes; Google Android and Windows Phone?

I do not use these OSes, so I'm not commenting on these ;-)

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 798 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hi again, Didier!

Thanks to you for the clarification! :)

I suppose quietman7's article Answers to common security questions - Best Practices is just as applicable for AV and AM on computers as well as mobile phones.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#6 VB30

VB30

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hi midimusicman79,

What features should be taken into consideration when choosing mobile AV and AM?

I use a Android phone and use Avast Mobile Security. I mainly use this for the anti theft features that they have which i have not had to use as of yet.

Link below of "AVTEST Best Antivirus Software for Android". Some have features like anti theft plus more that some may find useful.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/mobile-devices/android/september-2015/

May i ask if you are using a stock Android phone or has it been rooted, or something else ?

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 798 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hi, VB30!

Thank you for the prompt and interesting reply, as well as the link! :)

Yes, Avast Mobile Security scores 9/10, which is the best ever, and thus definitely recommendable. :thumbup2:

May i ask if you are using a stock Android phone or has it been rooted, or something else ?

Some time in the (near) future I am going to buy myself a new mobile phone, so right now I am actually just trying to probe the market. B)

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users