Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Gamma value is Windows using

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:40 AM

Can I tell what Gamma value Win 10 or Win 7 is using?

My monitor is set to 2.2.

The various Windows tools only show sliders but not the actual Gamma value they are using.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

To follow up my opening post

Yesterday I recalibrated my Eizo monitor using a ColorMunki. When I had finished there was a subtle change between the old profile and the new; as expected after so many months.

I then switched off my machines.

But today when I switched them on both have the monitor glaring!

Setup:

Machine A HP desktop 64bit running Windows 10 Home Premium - Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6370D

Machine B Hp Desktop 64 bit running Windows 7 Home Premium - Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

These machines share the keyboard, mouse and monitor via a Trendent TK-214i device.

Control Panel > Display > Calibrate Color does not help.

Control Panel > Color Management > Devices allows me to choose either my new profile or my old as default but neither work i.e. both show the glare unlike yesterday when either worked properly. In fact no profile works. Note the monitor brightness, using the monitors controls, is 43%; was 44% with the previous profile. So the monitors hardware is not at fault.

Where does Windows tell you what Gamma it is using. I look in the menu on my Eizo monitor and it tells it is set to Gamma 2.2. Windows should be the same but i cannot find out what it is using; almost certainly not 2.2 or the screen would not be so bad.

Can any please advise?

Sorry for misspelling What

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

See if this article helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried that; it is one of the ways you get to Gamma sliders but it does not tell you what Gamma windows is using.

I found a link, which I should have kept, that seemed to imply that Windows may read your profile but you must make sure Windows is using Gamma 2.2; but the link did not say how to check that Windows was using 2.2!

Any more help would be appreciated.

#5 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:48 AM

In order to eliminate one possible problem I have removed the Trendent TK-214i device and connect Machine A directly to the monitor.

Makes no difference; still glaring.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Do a System Restore to a date prior to the changes you made.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

Sorry

Alzheimers or old age stubboness; probably the latter.

I was so fixated on Gamma I never investigated contrast in the ColorMunki setup with my monitor. I had set contrast to 100% but as the calibration ignored that in its process my screen was left as 100%

Now set at 55% and all is well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users