Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect Free Rescue Options

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trimmer1

trimmer1

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hello, I've been using Macrium Reflect (free x64) version 5.3.7299 since it came out (April 7th 2015). The very next version was v.6.0.685 (released June 18th 2015). In v.6.0 they dropped the option to make the Linux rescue option. There's "Windows PE 3.1" option and .ISO, I believe. The Win PE option has/is a huge download, about 1 GB I think.

I want to get up to date but I don't know much about .ISO.........the Win PE rescue is out of the question, I have a slow(er) DSL connect. Excuse me if the new Macrium Reflect v.6.1.685 has options I don't know about, the update came out today (Oct. 12th). When v.6.0 came out I tried it but went back to v.5.3. Thanks in advance, regards.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 02:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:53 AM

Macrium KnowledgeBase

Creating a Rescue Media (Wizard) Setup. This ISO image file is already found within the Macrium software package installed and that you just need to create or burn by a disc or USB stick. If you need to update your version, just download and run the exe setup and it will remove or detect the previously installed macrium.

Macrium FAQ

Can Version 6 be installed over 5? Will both 5 and 6 be on the hard drive? Should 5 be uninstalled first?

Versions 5 and 6 will not exist on your system at the same time. The version 6 installer will uninstall version 5, as part of the install process.

Does Windows PE need to be reinstalled and new rescue CDs made? Will the old Rescue CDs still work?

Version 5 rescue media cannot restore images created with v6 so it is essential to create v6 rescue media when you upgrade. Please note that v6 rescue media can restore images from any version of Macrium Reflect.

Tekken

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:59 AM

WinPE bootable media is better than Linux. I'd prefer to use that.

#4 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

I'm not sure that it is correct to say WinPE is better than Linux.  It's a personal thing and some will find that, although it is more limited, the Linux rescue media's simplicity makes it a preferable option.  Having said that, like with the Macrium Reflect program itself, the user can pick and choose facilities within WinPE and use just a few initially for basic backup imaging, until experience and increased confidence encourage exploring and using the facilities more widely.

However, if the user wishes to use the latest version of the program, as has already been stated in other posts, the Linux rescue media is no longer an option so he or she must create the WinPE rescue media in order to boot the computer, should Windows fail to boot, in order to gain access to the backup image files and restore the system.

When I updated Macrium Reflect to version 6, I had a problem downloading the WinPE files but this was resolved by uninstalling the Macrium Reflect program and reinstalling it and completing the WinPE download in Safe Mode (with internet access).  After that everything went smoothly and I am pleased I updated.  I can vouch that version 6 can use older backup images.  I tested the WinPE rescue CD created with version 6 on my Windows 7 desktop on my non-internet connected XP desktop - it booted the system, found the version 5 backup image files on the external drive and successfully restored the system.

Unfortunately, for users who prefer the Linux rescue media, as Macrium, so far at least, seem to have no intention of bringing back the Linux option, it will be necessary to return to version 5 to use their preference.

#5 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

I'm sticking with v.5.3, the last version before v.6 - It's worked for me every time I needed it. I don't see what harm it can do. I have the setup.exe in 'My Downloads', on a thumb drive and on a CD (as a USB). (I need a faster connection to even try WinPE).The first time I tried Reflect it only took about 15 minutes to figure it out.......I watched two videos before I installed it, that helped a lot. I'm a bit slow to catch on to some programs. I wanted something small & simple to back up one to two day of files I put on C: drive, (Incremental) like images, videos, downloads and such and tried Back4Sure. It was real easy BUT when it came to restoring I got lost big-time. I'll read up on it and figure it out. Thanks everyone.

#6 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hi Trimmer,

Of course you are right - if WinPE doesn't suit you then it's perfectly OK to stick with Macrium Reflect v5.3.7299.0 (the last release before v6 I believe) or even earlier versions.  I use it on my XP desktop and it performs extremely well with the Linux rescue media (CD in my case) although, if I wish, I can boot the system from the WinPE media created in Reflect v6 on my Windows 7 system.  The program has rescued me a few times and the only minor hiccup I've ever had with Macrium reflect was with very early versions whose rescue media tended to change drives on drives beyond 'C' - that was easily rectified though.

Good luck - let's hope you don't need to run the rescue media in anger but if you have to, it's reassuring to know how good it is.

#7 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

I know I'd really like WinPE but my DSL connection only gets about 110 mb/hr max. I use FDM d'load manager and could d'load it at night. I've been thinking about that. Does WinPE have many updates, if so does it update itself like Macrium?

#8 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

Hi Trimmer,

WinPE does have occasional updates but they are less frequent than those of Macrium Reflect.  Macrium Reflect advises when a WinPE update is available and you just click to get it.  These updates tend to be quite small and quick to download - they are added to the rest of the WinPE files you would already have from the original download so it is not like doing a full download of WinPE.  Of course you would now need to burn new rescue media - I burn mine on cd-rw discs.  I test the new version to see if it boots the system to the Macrium Reflect screen - if it does, then I can re-use the previous version's cd-rw for something else or keep it as a reserve until the next WinPE update appears and use it for the new rescue disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users