Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MB updates, BIOS updates/configuration, driver updates for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

I am in need of help to try to find out why I have been unable to update my RAM.

Please see this link for the original topic for reference. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591500/memory-compatibility/page-3#entry3839648

Here is my Speccy report for information about my system.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AmbIUgJGrxVt61aC8i01FKQ

I am completely at a loss as to how to proceed. I don't know anything about BIOS updates and have never even heard the term.

I have a laptop that I can use in case I need to work on this one, (my main pc) that I am trying to add RAM to.

Thank you for any help at all.

~ Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Your Speccy shows that you have two 2GB Corsair RAM modules installed for a total of 4GB of RAM.  Your motherboard has a maximum amount of RAM of 8GB.  How much RAM did you want to add? 

The Corsair part number is CM3X2G1333C9, this is 3 x 2GB for a total of 6GB of RAM.  This is how this RAM was sold.  Obviously you don't have the third module installed.  A call to Corsair would be needed to find 2x2GB modules which would work in dual channel with the RAM currently installed.  If you let me know how much RAM you wish to add (I'm guessing another 2x2GB which would give you the max amount of 8GB) I will make that call for you.

What makes you believe you need to upgrade the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hello dc3

Well, I had first tried adding 2x2GB but I had the wrong speed, so I returned them and bought another 2 sticks but they didn't work and turned out to not be the same voltage. I searched everywhere for the exact same as what I have but couldn't find them. I was told, because they were bought 7 years ago, they may not be found any longer and it was suggested to me to buy another brand of 4 sticks (2x2GB) which I tried, and it still didn't work.

If you like, you can see my original post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591500/memory-compatibility/page-4#entry3840226  I've bought RAM 3 times now and none have worked for my computer. I have returned twice so far and might have to return what I just purchased again.

I'm confused about what you said about not having a third module installed. Not sure what that means. I have 4 slots, 2 are filled, and I was hoping to fill the other two with 2GB each.

~ Cheryl

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

I just got off the phone with tech support at Corsair.  These modules a so old that they don't have anything which can be added to max out your RAM and still run in dual channel.  So I did a search at Crucial.  They have matched pairs (2GBx2) for $47.99.  You would need two sets to achieve the 8GB max.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/dp45sg/CT5510227

Crucial guarantees these modules to be compatible with your motherboard.

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2015 - 10:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi dc3

Thank you for doing that for me! :) 

I am still not sure though as I bought and tried G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 1.50v PC3-10666 2GBx4 plug and play Kit, and I was told by G.Skill that they too were compatible with my motherboard. I placed them in correctly, and still got 3 beeps and no O.S. :(

So, now I'm being told that it's possible my BIOS needs to be updated. Which if that is true, would save me from having to return this kit (as I have already had to return 2!) So I think I should do that before trying anything else.

~ Cheryl

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Are you trying to run the GSkill modules along with the Corsair modules?

#7 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

No. I had taken the Corsair out and replaced will all G.Skill.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

What is the model of the GSkill modules?

#9 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Not sure where the model number is, but across the top it says F3-10666Cl9Q-8GBBXL  and on the bottom it says 152715002417048

Are either of those it?

Cheryl

#10 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:38 AM

dc3, you said The Corsair part number is CM3X2G1333C9, this is 3 x 2GB for a total of 6GB of RAM.  This is how this RAM was sold.  Obviously you don't have the third module installed. But I was there when the RAM was purchased, 7 years ago, and watched it being installed. I bought 2 sticks of RAM with the knowledge that in the future I could add another 2 sticks of 2GB each. But it sounds like you are saying something is missing. Is that correct?

I'm just really confused...

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

Ok... that module is not compatible according to the tech I spoke with at GSkill.  Your motherboard apparently doesn't like the newer RAM.  But I was given a model which should work with your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gskill+394&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I don't know where you purchased the GSkill modules, but you should be able to return them and/or exchange them for the module posted in the link above.

The model shown in the Speccy indicates that this purchase originally had 3x2GB modules.  If this was seven years ago I would just forget it and move on.  No telling where that other module is located.

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#12 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

I actually purchased them at New Egg, but before I did I sent my Speccy to G.Skill customer service and they told me that the RAM was compatible with my motherboard. Hmmm...

Now I'll go check out the link you added to newegg...

Thank you for your help.

Cheryl

#13 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

dc3... Can I purchase 2 of those kits? I want a total of 8GB of RAM as that is what I was told my motherboard can take. I hope I can just send back to newegg what I purchased and exchange them for the right ones. But it was G.Skill that told me they were OK. :(

Cheryl

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

I really feel for you.  I know that this is confusing and a little frustrating.

When I called the tech I explained that these modules had been suggested, but they will not work in your motherboard.  He did a through search and is sure that your motherboard did not want to see these newer modules.

Yes, you can purchase two of the 2x2GB pairs for a total of 8GB.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

I would suggest calling Newegg and explain what has transpired and ask for a suggestion to resolve this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users