Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Shell vs. Command Prompt - What's different?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

I notice a lot of reference to opening Power Shell and running a command or set of commands.  

Up through Win7, I always did this sort of thing through Command Prompt (sometimes forced to run with elevated administrator privileges).

I don't know if Power Shell came in with Win8 or is new to Win10 and have never had occasion to use it.

What are the significant differences, if any, between these two beasts?  I notice that Power Shell takes a lot longer to give you the prompt to start entering commands once the window is actually open than Command Prompt does.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

Hi britechguy :)

PowerShell is mainly used by Sysadmins to manage the network and domain they handle, as well as the computers and other devices that are part of it. PowerShell is a scripting language, so is Batch. The PowerShell can interpret Batch commands and PowerShell commands, but the command prompt can only interpret batch commands. PowerShell is mainly used for management, administration and automation.

HowToGeek have a nice little article that outlines that differences between the two.

http://www.howtogeek.com/163127/how-powershell-differs-from-the-windows-command-prompt/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Aura,

Thanks.  I figure those who use it regularly (or even semi-regularly) would be able to point me to the best "what are the differences?" resources out there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Powershell is a lot more advanced as compared to CMD. Like Aura said, it is mainly used by the Windows SysAdmins to administer the servers, Azure Cloud and perform other tasks. 

Another thing to note is that most of the Linux Bash Shell commands work with Powershell. It was made like this so that it is easier for Linux Sysadmins to transition from Linux to Windows Administration.

There are also some tasks which can only be done via Powershell. For example, if you want a reserved IPv4 Address to use with Azure Websites or Azure Virtual Machines (In Cloud Service), you can only request for it using Powershell.

Once you start using it, it surely is fun!

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Well, I basically Googled "differences between command prompt and powershell". Tons of good links came up and I picked one that's easy to understand. Most questions like these can easily be answered via Google searches :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Aura,

Believe me, I did a DuckDuckGo search and found *lots* of stuff.  I sometimes (like this time) ask these questions to try to get expert opinion on winnowing the wheat from the chaff as far as this specialty stuff goes.

I've been a search engine wiz for a long time now.  Even I sometimes amaze myself at what I can find once I've determined just the right keywords.

~ Mark Twain

#7 patrick.croner

patrick.croner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hey,

Check out the link below for some more information:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/command-prompt-vs-windows-powershell-whats-difference/

Best of luck,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users