Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Surfing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 busterb44

busterb44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

I apologize if this forum is not meant for this type of query.  I was thinking of buying my first ipad or maybe ipad air tablet to do two things:

1) Surf the internet while home and travelling, so I am thinking 4G

2) Write a book

My concerns are if I surf the net, I am worried I will corrupt the tablet with a virus.  I am familiar with malware protection for my laptop but clueless about ipad how to protect them.

Also, I work with Word to write but not sure if my tablet will have something to write with and if I will get use to the screen keys to type.  I am thinking writing a novel will be a hobby.

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 busterb44

busterb44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

Are VPN's affordable for privacy?  Is it foolish to have a wireless card or hotspot type device and vpn, or do they offset the benefits?  Just thinking more about doing this right and using it for protection too.  Currently I rely on my work laptop to do all my online and medical surfing but others feel work is even less safe than a home laptop.

Edited by busterb44, 12 October 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#3 busterb44

busterb44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

And was in the darkweb, is it a waste of time or can we actually find interesting legitimate information?  I am enjoying this forum with all the information more than looking up fantasy football stats:)!

Edited by busterb44, 12 October 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

To try and take your questions in order -

(1)  4G is as far as I know more secure than public wi-fi, I would never recommend anybody to do any thing sensitive over a public wi-fi connection, eg on-line banking. A VPN will eliminate this problem and there are free as well as paid for versions.

(2)  You can get MS Word on an iPad but whether you can live with the on-screen keyboard is up to your taste. I would recommend the full size iPad over the mini if you intend doing a lot of writing but at the same time I know some people who are pretty fast on the mini size keyboard

(3)  In general, iOS systems are less vulnerable to infection then Windows products or Android but they are not bullet proof. For more specific advice on this you would be better to start a topic in the Apple iOS section for what precautions are advised

(4)  I am not quite sure what you mean by the 'darkweb'. But there is a huge amount of valuable information on the web, you just have to exercise a bit of care on where you go looking for it.

Hope this helps.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 busterb44

busterb44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

Chris, thank you.  This all helps especially about free vpn's and the ios security concerns. I think I am going to get the ipad air 2, the new pro looks amazing with but just too much money unless I decide I can't go cheap with minimum 16gb on the ipad air 2 cheapest cellular version compared to the cellular 128gb new pro for I think $600 more.

Not sure if 16gb will be too little if just apps, photos that I can eventually transfer and writing apps (Scibner I think I found is one).

As for the security I will read first about precautions in ios, any thing I can do to save on buying extra monthly protection from apple or Verizon will save me headaches and cash.

Interest I have is about NASA type programs, I think that is my next hobby and where I will try to become more familiar with what resources are out there to amaze me.

Thank you again.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

16 GB is not a lot of data storage especially when you consider that the OS and any apps you have on it or install come out of this. However as soon as you register an iPad you get access to Apple's iCloud on-line storage and there are of course other accessible on-line storage sites like DropBox, but you do need a working internet connection and if you are using 4G there is the possibility of runing into data caps.

Word type documents do not take up a huge amount of space unless you are planning on re-writing the Encyclopedia Britannica so storage should not be a problem for that. And even if you use a Windows PC at home you can download your data from the iCloud using iTunes.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users