Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update error code 8024001B

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

Windows won't update, and when I try to manually check for updates it either just continues searching for ages or says "Windows could not search for new updates" with error code 8024001B. I've tried various things, ensuring Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer services are running, deleting SoftwareDistribution Download and DataStore caches, and trying Windows Troubleshooting Fixit program but nothing has worked. Any help really appreciated.

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 yesterday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:01 AM

Try running the Update Troubleshooter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

When I run it it says Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem.

Edited by n01paranoid, 13 October 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

I think tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) includes a checkmark for fixing Windows Updates.  Safe Mode with Networking, accept defaults along with WU checkmark.  Naturally, if dc3 has some others things for you try first:  follow his advice, he won't steer you wrong!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

The error code you posted means that the update is being installed.  Restart the computer and see if the update that was being installed is visible now.

Let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I've rebooted a number of times since the problem and still no change. As you say the error code says an update is being installed but it isn't installing. Windows Update is constantly running with high CPU usage. I also tried tweaking.com yesterday but no good.

Edit: I've just run Windows Update Troubleshooting program again and it's notified me of another error code 0x8008005.

Just a though but could a security program be blocking updates? I have Zone Alarm firewall, Panda free AV, Malwarebytes AntiExploit. I disabled ZA but that made no difference.

Edited by n01paranoid, 14 October 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Reporting back. i'm still not able to update automatically, but I can download individual updates from Microsoft's Security Bulletin site. Obviously this isn't very convenient but at least I can now get new updates.

What I would like to know is how far do I need to go back to get updates? Obviously all the critical and important ones relevant to me (for instance i don't need IE updates as I never use it and have it disabled) since I upgraded from Vista last Sunday, but do I need to go back further? Any help really appreciated as usual. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Windows 7 has a service pack.  You should see if you can download this as it will take care of some of the updates in one shot.

#9 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:30 AM

Thanks dc3. The service pack did install on Sunday when I upgraded from Vista. I've done a number of system restores from various points since and my OS is still showing as Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 so I guess that means it's still there. So does this mean I only need to download important/critical downloads released since Sunday?

Edited by n01paranoid, 16 October 2015 - 07:07 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

As long as a Windows operating system is still supported there will always be updates.  If you don't have limited bandwidth I would suggest setting the updates to automatically download.  You can either have these install automatically, or you can set it so that you can choose what you want to install.  The bottom line is that there will always be updates being generated.

#11 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

That's the problem - automatic downloading still doesn't work. Also I just ran Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser. I got a nasty shock when I saw how many updates were missing. That's this weekend taken care of manually updating.

#12 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

Anybody re installing Win 7 is in for a rude awakening because i re installed recently and i know a few others and this "waiting forever" for updates is happening to everybody reinstalling Win 7 .

Microsoft is still giving priority to Win 10 installs and probably will be for quite some time ,  because of this the average wait people are experiencing who are looking to download and install all Win 7 updates is up to 20+ hours , no joke .

Average wait is 6 to 12 hours and  i waited 14 hours , NOEL from Win 7 forums (the WU MVP) told me this specifically and so did some other very knowledgeable people .

Do not think your computer is at fault (in most cases) ,  Shane from Tweaking.com's "Windows Repair" program did not fix anything for me and neither did downloading all the WU troubleshooters  and even installing WU system update readiness tool doesn't help .

After thoroughly going over my WU logs with NOEL he told me no issues as it's just a matter of waiting and waiting till the updates eventually show and they did , took 14 hours to show over two hundred Win 7 updates .

I initially got the same error code as the one you show . 

Edited by herbman, 16 October 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#13 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for the info herbman. Hopefully that's the reason I can't update automatically. I started a topic about it on W7 forums but noone mentioned it. 

Edited by n01paranoid, 17 October 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:46 AM

I created a "Reset Windows Update Components.bat" batch script to repair Windows Update try the batch script if it wont help resolve the issue try the "System Update Readiness Tool".

Mod Edit by quietman7: Disabled link for downloading a file in violation of this policy.

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Posted Image

#15 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

Thanks FreeBooter - already did that quite early on in the process but herbman was absolutely right. My updates have finally installed automatically after waiting nearly a week. Thanks again herbman and I'm very surprised noone on the Win7 forums even mentioned this to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users