Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Expansion drive power supply requirement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

I have a Seagate 3tb Expansion hard drive requiring an external power supply. Unfortunately the power supply for the hard drive has been lost. I have spare power supply which I think is the same 12v but am not sure if the polarity is the same. If I connect this other power supply will I be risking damaging the hard drive if the polarity is wrong?

I remember having tried to power other electrical equipment using power supplies with adjustable polarity and doing no harm, the equipment concerned simply didn't work until the polarity was correct. Is it the same with hard drives? Should I try the spare power supply or would I be risking damage if the polarity's wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

I found is one on Amazon but I could not see what polarity the plug is. The AMP rating should be at least the same. I have seen bricks with the polarity on different sides of the plug. You need to make sure yours is the same or damage will result.

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charger-Seagate-Freeagent-Expansion/dp/B0078PY0KG

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi John, thanks for that.

I found this page on Seagates site which I hope might be useful to someone else...

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/204171en?language=en_US

Folowing the link to the Expansion Drive power supply I was able to see the spare power supply I have here is the correct voltage and polarity so tried to run the hard drive using that.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the hard drive and Windows is unable to read it. The drive powers up and I can hear the disk spinning up and slowing down repeatedly in a cycle of 2 or 3 seconds. I'll make another post when I get time and hopefully diagnose further.

Thanks again

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Be careful when using a seagate 3tb drive. They have horrible failure rates, especially in an external enclosure.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users