Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete removal of AVG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi, all! 

I work at a school whose Dell 80gb HDD computers are about 10 - 12 years old (yeah, I know...)  :(   My particular unit on my desk has apparently had AVG installed into it sometime in the past (probably just after the Earth's crust cooled...) . It (the AVG program) doesn't seem to function properly and also it seems to be memory-intensive. Besides the low-quality of the ISPs here, the extra memory that the program uses seems to cause my unit to 'drag' and I'd like to delete it ALL and install AVAST. How can I uninstall AVG and be sure to get rid of all its components? 

Thanks in advance!! 

BTW, since this concerns an AV program but not a 'virus' per se, I didn't know if I should post it in this column or a software column......

Mods, Please of course feel free to move it to whatever thread you deem appropriate. 

TY

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 12 October 2015 - 09:47 AM.
Moved from 'Virus etc logs' to 'A/V and A/malware software'

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Hi, all! 

I work at a school whose Dell 80gb HDD computers are about 10 - 12 years old (yeah, I know...)  :(   My particular unit on my desk has apparently had AVG installed into it sometime in the past (probably just after the Earth's crust cooled...) . It (the AVG program) doesn't seem to function properly and also it seems to be memory-intensive. Besides the low-quality of the ISPs here, the extra memory that the program uses seems to cause my unit to 'drag' and I'd like to delete it ALL and install AVAST. How can I uninstall AVG and be sure to get rid of all its components? 

Thanks in advance!! 

BTW, since this concerns an AV program but not a 'virus' per se, I didn't know if I should post it in this column or a software column......

Mods, Please of course feel free to move it to whatever thread you deem appropriate. 

TY 

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi there,

According to the official instructions, AVG should be uninstalled normally with Programs and Features. The removal tool should only be used if normal uninstallation fails.

It is better if you boot into Safe Mode and uninstall AVG from there, as AVG will not be running and thus less likely to cause problems.

Hope this helps :)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

If this computer belongs to the school you may not have the admin rights to change from AVG to anything else. Your first action should be to speak to your IT support about the problems with this computer. After all, it may not be the A/V that is the cause of the slowness - it could be clogged up with temporary files, there may not be enough space on the hard drive, the hard drive could be in serious need of defragging to name but three other possibilities.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

If this is a school computer, the IT Department implements specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. They typically have policies/restrictions in place that prohibit the installation/removal of certain programs and/or the downloading of files from what it considers prohibited sites. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use school resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. As such, you should check with IT before proceeding.

Mod Edit by quietman7: Duplicate topic merged.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:07 AM

Bleepin' Dark Ranger,

Thank you for your post. I followed the official instructions and it uninstalled just fine, which it hadn't done previously when I'd tried to uninstall what was left of it by using the Control Panel. .  The 'report' when it finished said it had not found any complete, intact version of the program, which is what I'd suspected. It did however, find and remove quite a few leftover fragments. I then downloaded and installed Avast, and all is well. 

Next, I'll probably install Malware Bytes Anti-Malware,and that should do it.

Thanks again.  :thumbup2:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

As I said, for issues with school computers, you need to check with your IT department.

#8 doveroh

doveroh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

If it is still the school's computer and you are on their domain, they can repush AVG back out to your computer again if that is what they are using and it is in their policy. 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

Every school has their own policy and the OP has already been advised to check with their IT Department.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users