Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic disk repair and pretty much everything else won't work

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jchri12

jchri12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

So every time automatic disk repair won't work, it says there's a problem with srttrail.txt. So I tried looking at the logs to see what the problem was and nothing stood out(not sure what to look for but nothing flashed red lights as to there being a problem)and the file doesn't exist if I try to open it so I can't delete it. Then I tried refreshing but the disk was locked. I tried to create a new partition with no success due to there not being enough space or something. Then I torrented a copy of Windows 8 to load on from a different comp, but I'm not getting the option to load it from a flash drive in troubleshooting. Not sure what other options I have, if any. I'm open to anything, even if that means losing everything on my computer, I don't care at this point. I'm on an asus x551ca if that matters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

First off, lose the illegal copy of Windows 8.  There is a forum rule which states:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft.  There is no need to use the illegal copy.

Let's rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

In the menu that opens click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin), this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jchri12

jchri12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

First off, lose the illegal copy of Windows 8.  There is a forum rule which states:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft.  There is no need to use the illegal copy.

Let's rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

In the menu that opens click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin), this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

I ran the command in troubleshoot>advanced options>command prompt(it says administrator at the top) because  i can't access the desktop to press the windows key and x. If there's a place I can I don't know it. The results came back with what you said, but it was really quick, like a minute or two.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

Did this resolve the issue?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jchri12

jchri12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

repair is inching along, at 5% after 30 minutes,I'll update if it finishes or fails

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:47 AM

Keep the faith, and have patience.

#7 jchri12

jchri12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

no luck, stopped around 15. The message that came up says "automatic repair couldn't repair your PC. Press "advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "shut down" to turn off your PC. Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:29 AM

Can Try this link , it got all tools & Software’s just one click download , tools used for troubleshooting

For Windows –  http://www.techtoolsweb.com/windows-tools/

For MAC -  http://www.techtoolsweb.com/mactools/

There are a lot of good programs listed in these links.  But unless you know what they are designed for and understand how to use these properly they aren't very useful.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:34 AM

Please reopen the command prompt and enter each command below one at a time followed by pressing Enter.

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

You should receive the following message:

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1]  D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

This means that the BCD store rebuild is progressing as expected.

When you are asked Add installation to boot list?, type Y or Yes and press Enter.

Restart your computer.

#10 jchri12

jchri12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

Sorry it took me so long to write a response, but I didn't have the time or computer to write back. When I typed in the command ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old, the syntax was incorrect. I retried that one command and all the others multiple times with no luck.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

Copy and paste the following commands in the command prompt and press Enter after each command.  If you copy and paste the command there is little chance of creating a typo.

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

#12 oreva

oreva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Thanks dc3 ,I have followed your instruction carefully but i  get " A duplicate file name exisits,or the file cannot be found" when i run ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old 

Bootrec /rebuildbcd  displays "successfully scanned windows installations total identified windows installations 0"

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

the Bootrec /rebuildbcd complete message should have stated "Successfully scanned Windows installations.  Total identified Windows installations: 0  The operation completed successfully.

The last portion seen in bold above was missing in what you posted.  Was this an omission on your part? 

#14 oreva

oreva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

the Bootrec /rebuildbcd complete message should have stated "Successfully scanned Windows installations.  Total identified Windows installations: 0  The operation completed successfully.

The last portion seen in bold above was missing in what you posted.  Was this an omission on your part? 

Yes, It was an omission.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Glad to hear this.

Did this resolve your problem?

Edited by dc3, 10 January 2017 - 10:21 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users