Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 IE11 Stop Autoplay of Next Video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 keepon

keepon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

How can 'autoplay of next video' be stopped?  I don't want to be advanced by You Tube, or Fox News (as examples) randomly to the next video 'they' want me to see.  I want to stay in one spot as there may be other videos related to the subject I'm looking for info on, and instead autoplay white arrow circle begins spinning and it blows my concentration trying to stop their selected next advance.

While the settings gear lets you stop it 1 time in a row (maybe), it drags you right back into its process on the next video.  You wind up "mud-wrestling" with an auto-process for control over your own computer!

Another annoying auto-process is: you're reading an article of choice and suddenly the page drags you back to a new video ad "they" want you to see/hear. 

It's my computer!  How can I keep it from "their" taking away my control?! 

Does anyone know a solution?

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 02:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hi Keepon, and Welcome.

The problem is these are site based settings (not based in your computer)

The you tube can be done by turning autoplay off with the slider (at the top of the video list) this may well default back if you have cookies disabled(You tube saves your settings as cookies)

As far as the other sites without visiting them I can't comment 

Hope that helps a bit

Hedge

#3 keepon

keepon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Hedge, for the "welcome," and the information.

I enabled cookies for both You Tube an Fox News as my tests.  The "slider" worked for You Tube!  Went out, came back in, and the "shut off autoplay" held!  When I came back in, the autoplay remained in the off position.  :bananas:  

No luck though on foxnews.com.   They use a rotary gear which I slid to the autoplay off position, but it advanced to the next video anyway. :lmao:  What's up with that?!  They give you a tool, but it'd be better is they gave you a tool that worked!  Very frustrating!

Are you saying that the cookie retains the preference for autoplay off and remembers my preference?  I'll be paying attention to that to see.

Thanks for reaching back so quickly!

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:47 AM

Keepon,

Yes, as far as I understand it (well for you tube)

There is a lot debate about this with you tube  because you even have to reset preferences every time you sign in (especially playback prefs)

As for other sites if there's a comment section leave a remark there about it (they might take notice if enough people do it)

I think it all boils down to advertising revenue(doesn't everything these days)

Hedge

PS Fox news > bottom off page > FAQ > submit a ticket         See if they can answer  your question 

Edited by hedgeley, 13 October 2015 - 03:58 AM.

#5 keepon

keepon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

Tues., 10/13/15

I've submitted a ticket to Fox.  Will see what info they come back with.

Thanks Hedge.

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:57 AM

keepon,

No problem  :thumbup2:

Good luck

Hedge