Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to destroy Windows 10 auto-download via WU

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:24 AM

Title should have been:   Need to destroy WU's Windows 10 auto-download

Earlier, I removed the ...664 update.  No go.

WU now wants to automatically download Windows 10.

I cannot access critical updates or important updates that apply to my Windows 7.

Does anyone here have their steps they applied to destroy Windows 10 auto-download via WU,

and restore the critical and important updates for Windows 7 via WU?

Edited by RolandJS, 12 October 2015 - 03:28 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:22 AM

Might not be the answer you need , but i disabled one of Win10 startups using Autoruns from AURA`s Instructions , wasnt a problem anyway.

And uninstalled  2 others the 664 and cant remember the other off hand.{ KB3035583 .}

I dont use Windows Update in Auto , i select notify on Dload and Install , and select what i need , or just Hide the Problem ones.

Havent had an issue since , and not ready to try W10 , still happy with 7 until im forced to change.

Edited by Havachat, 12 October 2015 - 05:08 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:45 AM

Do you remember which topic/which post had Aura's instructions?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:12 AM

Aura`s Post....if it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/?hl=%20windows%20%20nag

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

Well, RolandJS, KB3050265 is supposed to stop the updates from recurring, but I got two independent reports from two guys both today and yesterday that it won't stop the latest re-flurry of the infamously bad ones.  Click here for which those are: 'article by Woody Leonhard is the first sublink in there.

Then, the turnoff for telemetry bullets I did in Win7, which someone said was helpful, followed by the KB 3050265 which is supposed to ban GWX from your machine. Video on it follows below in that thread.

Let us know if it works or not, as speculation is now rife.

Edited by brainout, 12 October 2015 - 06:24 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

FYI - there's a little link just below the W10 download blurb that allows you to view the rest of the updates.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

FYI - there's a little link just below the W10 download blurb that allows you to view the rest of the updates.

Yes, and no.  Reviewing the rest of the updates did not translate into being able to only pick those updates.

On the desktop, at this point, no matter what I pick and do not pick, the Windows 10 download automatically begins first and foremost.  But, I have a plan.  Right now, I'm backing up everything via FreeFileSync the contents of my d-partition.  Then, I will full-image OS partition.  After allowing Windows 10 to downlaod, hopefully I can kill the install.  If not, I will simply roll-over the W10 with my full-image W7pro.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 October 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:00 AM

I'm doing this all from memory as I only have a W10 system at home (I haven't had time to get VM's working recently)

When we do this at work, there will be a list of updates (I think it's the Optional ones, but am not certain  It may be listed as Important now) and the "Update to Windows 10" one will be automatically selected.
For those customers who do not want W10 - we make sure that we uncheck the "Update to Windows 10" one and W10 doesn't install.

FYI - I have not tried to hide that update, so I don't know if that'll work.

I believe that I've killed the installation previously (when we forgot to deselect the update), and that it stopped the W10 install, but the nag was still there.

I've only tried to remove the GWX update/folder once and it worked then - but this was back when it first came out.

Have you tried this?  http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

It's similar to what I recall doing when the update first came out:  http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

Other things to try are to use Autoruns to stop the GWX files from loading at startup (although that may not help with Windows Updates)

Or just selectively rename files from the GWX folder to see if you can break it deliberately.

Edited by usasma, 13 October 2015 - 06:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

Just so you know, there's currently a glitch with Windows Update and Windows 10. Even thought you uncheck and hide the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update, select the other updates you want to install and proceed to download and install them, the Windows Update will still display a download progress for Windows 10. This is a "bug" or "glitch", it doesn't actually download Windows 10, but the updates you selected instead. So if this is what you were referring to, don't worry about it, it's not actually downloading Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

That's good to know, Aura!  I'll reTry the other updates when I get home, that's where the desktop is  :)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

No problem. It seems like not a lot of users are aware of it, but since I see it everytime I install updates on my VMs, I realized it at some point.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Title should have been:   Need to destroy WU's Windows 10 auto-download

Earlier, I removed the ...664 update.  No go.

WU now wants to automatically download Windows 10.

I cannot access critical updates or important updates that apply to my Windows 7.

Does anyone here have their steps they applied to destroy Windows 10 auto-download via WU,

and restore the critical and important updates for Windows 7 via WU?

I found a forced update to Windows 10 just this evening.   I found a way out of it.  I cannot remember the exact process, but opened Windows Update, changed settings to "Check but let me choose...",  then found a link somewhere to view available updates;  I found two tabs:  Important and Optional.  NOTHING was checked/selected, except in the Optional section JUST WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE was checked.  I removed the checkmark there, and then put checkmarks in the needed Important items in the Important Updates tab, and then clicked the button to download and install the checked-marked updates.

Currently, that computer still is on Windows 7, and has all of its Important Updates.

#13 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:01 AM

I've seen a lot of posts here detailing how to rip GWX's guts out in order to prevent unwanted Win 10 upgrades/downloads. These usually involve un-installing updates and trying to avoid new GWX laden updates.

There is another way to approach this, and it does not involve un-installing or avoiding updates. In fact it's even MS supported (albeit though their marketing bods gritted teeth, I expect!)

Here are some instructions that I wrote about a month ago for some friends. Note that the updates mentioned in these instructions (3083324/5) might have been superseded in October updates - I've not had a chance to review that yet.

Once a Mod has reviewed these instructions.. you may want to make them more accessible.

Here we go.....

Logged in using an account that is an administrator of the PC, copy/paste the contents of the code window below into notepad and save it as "DisableWin10Upg.reg" (ensure that you save it as type "all files" so that you don't end up with a hidden ".txt" on the end of the file name). Then double click the file. You will get a “User Access Control” prompt, and also a warning telling you only to proceed if you trust the file. Accept both of these prompts (you should get a prompt saying that things have been added to the registry), then reboot.

The registry settings rely on the presence of a certain Windows update. If you do not have this (or a superseding update) installed, then install it:.
Windows 7:    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324
Windows 8.1:    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083325

Note that these updates supersede the updates mentioned in the other knowledgebase article that I refer to below. These updates are included in the September Windows updates that you should receive automatically. If you have run Windows updates since the middle of July, you should have Update 3065987 or 3065988 already, either of which will be just as effective at blocking unwanted Windows 10 preparations and offers. You will observe that the get windows X application (GWX) disappears from the notification area near the clock after the reboot.

This knowledgebase article confirms most of the things that I refer to above – It’s meant for IT administrators, so is a bit technical... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Contents of "DisableWin10Upg.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

Once these instructions have been implemented, the GWX notification area icon does not appear, the automatic background download is disabled, and upgrade offers and prompts no longer occur.

There is no need to avoid any Win7 or Win 8.1 updates or second guess which of those updates include GWX technology.

I've been running with these settings (on Win7 Ultimate) for several weeks, and am still blissfully Win10 free on the system to which I applied the settings.

x64

Edited by x64, 15 October 2015 - 01:03 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:04 AM

Nice work!  I'll give this a try today

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

I knew about these Registry keys/values, but for some reason, never bothered to add them on my VMs. Will keep that in mind on the next Patch Tuesday and apply them to my VMs before taking a new snapshot.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users