Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 Acer Laptop not booting (HDD data intact)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hello Everyone!!

I have an Acer V3-571-9808 laptop, preloaded with Win 8 which has been upgraded to 8.1. I have no issues with this laptop until this occurrence. I had just created a new user account and it was in the middle of setting up the profile when I seemed to have a BSOD (not entirely sure as I had turned away and only caught a glimpse of screen and a countdown in % form). It shut off and when it restarted, it remained on the Acer splash screen with no spinning dots.

After that point I suspected something may have happened to the HDD so I DL a USB copy of ubuntu to check that files were intact and they were. So I started doing research and trying out solutions such as DL and creating a bootable (USB) win 8.1 Install. I ran all tests through that. Auto repair failed after hours and chkdsk through CMD was aborted (by me) after 8hrs, the ETA was something like 998hrs.

If you would like I can list what I've done but bear in mind I tried alot of different solutions. I looking to go about this in a structured form. Its been very frustrating but I'm patient as well. I would like to extend my deepest gratitude for any help you all can provide.

BTW: I have played around in the BIOS and switched around between UEFI and legacy to try different options. In legacy, I get the 

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F Exiting broadcom PXE Rom
no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechWiz365

TechWiz365

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

For some reason, I would say that your laptop hardware isn't compatible with Windows 8.1 and you may have to downgrade and restore your laptop back to Windows 8 in order to sustain normal use.

Are you able to access the Advanced Startup Menu?

#3 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hello Techwiz365. That's not the case, I upgraded 8.1 when it came out. I have been using it for months with no issue whatsoever. This however has been the first time I have ever used the new user utility. I am only able to access the Advanced Startup Menu through a bootable USB loaded with 8.1 Installation media.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

It looks like you may have damaged the operating system to the point that it's time to use the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the operating system to the condition it came from the factory.  This means that any changes made (programs installed, document that were created, pictures, music, etc.) will be removed.

Since you have Ubuntu you can use it to back up your important data before using the recovery partition.

The instructions below will walk you through the installation.

Step 1.  Turn off the Acer computer.

Step 2.   Press the power button on the computer to turn it back on.

Step 3.   Immediately press the "ALT" and "F10" keys simultaneously once the Acer boot screen flashes on the screen.

Step 4.   Type "000000," then press "Enter" to access the recovery partition.

Follow the promts to comlete the installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

It looks like you may have damaged the operating system to the point that it's time to use the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the operating system to the condition it came from the factory.  This means that any changes made (programs installed, document that were created, pictures, music, etc.) will be removed.

Since you have Ubuntu you can use it to back up your important data before using the recovery partition.

The instructions below will walk you through the installation.

Step 1.  Turn off the Acer computer.

Step 2.   Press the power button on the computer to turn it back on.

Step 3.   Immediately press the "ALT" and "F10" keys simultaneously once the Acer boot screen flashes on the screen.

Step 4.   Type "000000," then press "Enter" to access the recovery partition.

Follow the promts to comlete the installation.

Hello dc3, It really has to come to that! Sure I'll do that. Could you recommend a backup utility?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Cobian Backup is popular here at Bleeping Computer.  But with the shape your operating system is in I'm not sure I would count on being able to use what it backs up.  This is why I had suggested copying and saving your important files, these should be stored on removable media, like an external hhd, flash drive, DVD, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Apart from your typical items to backup documents pictures video, Where would I go to backup app settings and what other things should I be copying?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

Since any third party applications or programs will be removed you will need to reinstall these.  And of course this means you will have to make any changes to the settings afterward.

Obviously you will not need to back up anything that will be included in the installation of the operating system.

If you have any other specific questions I will be glad to answer them as best I can.

#9 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hello DC3 I just wanted to let you know I am doing the backup now. I'll touch base with you once its completed.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

I'll be around.

#11 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hey DC3,

I tried the aforementioned process to load the acer recovery, but after step 3 all I see is a black screen. Been like that for an hour now...

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Is the hdd recognized in the BIOS?

If I understand this correctly, at this point you can't boot into Windows at all?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

dc3, when I had similar troubles with my Acer/Windows 8 [before I had it rolled back to W7pro] -- I think looking up the model number within acer's web site's tech support section had a possible solution or two.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

its being recognized on the InsydeH20 information page. On boot screen Windows boot manager shows first the HDD but nothing showing. However if I switch to legacy it shows... To answer your question in does NOT boot to windows at all.

dc3, when I had similar troubles with my Acer/Windows 8 [before I had it rolled back to W7pro] -- I think looking up the model number within acer's web site's tech support section had a possible solution or two.

I'll Try that Roland in the meantime!

Edited by Cmacs2k2, 19 October 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#15 Cmacs2k2

Cmacs2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

No dice fellas any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users