Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Restore Points

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toadywot

Toadywot

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

I performed a system restore on my PC, restoring it to an earlier time by restoring from a restore point, which was successfully completed. I then wanted to undo that restoration but when I went back into System Restore to perform the Undo, I found every single restore point that had been there had vanished. They were there prior to the restoration, but after that restoration completed, there were absolutely none. How/Why did that happen?

Now I REALLY want to undo that restoration, if for no other reason than to get my restore points back, unless there is a way to retrieve them without running another System Restore. If not, is it possible to undo the restoration without the restore points? Some other method within the Windows 7 PC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:40 AM

If the restore points are incremental images, when you restored to one of the points, the points after that will be invalid and may disappear like yours. But I don't know which backup software you used. If you recently haven't done a full system backup, you might not be able to undo the restore. 

Edited by Bailifei, 12 October 2015 - 12:41 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

...and SRPs are deleted by most 3rd party disk defraggers.  I don't know if Windows' own once-a-week defragger also deletes SRPs.

Bailifei, thanks for that reminder about SRPs!  I will remember that for my purposes!

Edited by RolandJS, 12 October 2015 - 04:34 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

When you reopened the System Restore the option "Undo My Last Restoration" should have been available.  Was it not?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Toadywot

Toadywot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

No, the Undo option is gone too. I have a screenshot of the image that appears when I attempted an Undo, but I cannot seem to find an option to include it. This has never happened before and I'm totally perplexed. If there's a way to send the screenshot, let me know.

Defragging is not an issue here, but when I do run it, it's the Windows type....its set to Manual and I haven't run it lately.

The backup software I use is Windows built-in version, but this is the first time I've had this problem.

I'm at a loss.....thought I was reasonably computer-literate, but this throws me. Thanks for the help, and if there's anything else I can try, I'd love to hear it!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

Why were you doing a system restore?

I don't see any need to post an image of the system restore points failure.  But for a future reference, you can use the instructions below to post an image in the Windows forums.  There are some forums here at Bleeping Computer where you can not post an image.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment. 

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

I don't know if Windows' own once-a-week defragger also deletes SRPs.

The Windows Defrag will not remove restore points.  But the Disk Cleanup Tool will remove all but the most current restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users