Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i put the drivers on a blank disc for a windows installation?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

I want to get windows 7 back, i have debian wheezy.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

Download them, then Copy to Disk with your Burning Software, I don't know what Wheezy comes with.  I use K3b, if you have that I could try to help.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

do u know where i could get them from?

ooh, i have a signature

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

You could just put them on a USB.  You will get them from the OEM whom made your computer, tell me what make and model and I will try and help, but, this is really a windows thing unless you need to use the linux burning software.

Did you get your iso burned to a disc yet? or even find an iso?  I thought you lost windows 7.  If you can't get this figured out you might just go back to linux.  Not sure why you are having issues with linux but maybe we can help.

You should know by now to post up your specs when asking a question.  Make a Word doc with this info on it and you will be able to post it easier.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:58 PM

1. dell inspiron 1500s series,

2. I got an iso burned on to a usb and it works but it says i need the drivers

3. i destroyed linux beyond repair and do not feel like doing a fresh install: too much stuff on it lost.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

Well windows certainly wont fix your issues if you had data loss or anything.

If you are a beginner in linux then installing debain is not for you, I would spend some time in a distro like linux mint.

As for windows 7 installation there are factors to consider:

1: all the hours you will spend updating it

2: installing all the codecs, if you found Debian hard installing codecs windows can be just as tricky if not trickier

3: getting all your drivers (your main issue here)

4: Extended support for windows 7 ends in 2020 and Mainstream support for it ended in January so you would be on your own.

Me personally I would try another Linux before mucking about with windows again, it would be more aggravation for you then its honestly worth.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

There is a lot to be said for MadmanRB's opinion/advice but if you do decide to go back to Windows Dell make life easy for you. Somewhere on the bottom of yur laptop should be a barcode label. Copy the number on this label to something you can read, go to the Dell web-site then 'Support' and type this number in. You will find yourself at the page for your exact  model with all the relevant drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

TOMIS13LACK, Here is the site:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

What ever you decide will be fine - but as said - Linux Mint Should be WAY more easy to install, 2hrs and your done.  I can do it in about 1 1/4 hours.  Would be easier to get the OEM Discs if available you will find out when you put your info in at their site.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

TOMIS13LACK, Here is the site:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

What ever you decide will be fine - but as said - Linux Mint Should be WAY more easy to install, 2hrs and your done.  I can do it in about 1 1/4 hours.  Would be easier to get the OEM Discs if available you will find out when you put your info in at their site.

1 1/4 HOURS!!! Man pcpunk... I would think with all your playing around you would be a master at installing now! ;-)
As long as you know the steps (and have an SSD) Linux can be installed in half an hour.

TOMIS13LACK, as everyone said, just install Windows and then you can go to Dell's site and DL the drivers you need. Very simple, no need to put drivers on a disk.

EDIT

The only thing is if your LAN drivers won't work upon install... then you'll need another PC and a USB drive.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 12 October 2015 - 01:46 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

1 1/4 HOURS!!! Man pcpunk... I would think with all your playing around you would be a master at installing now! ;-)

As long as you know the steps (and have an SSD) Linux can be installed in half an hour.

Wow...half hour! is that with Updates also?  I have old machines and my install time might not be exact, but, the last I did to a USB took that long - which is slower of course.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

Wow...half hour! is that with Updates also?  I have old machines and my install time might not be exact, but, the last I did to a USB took that long - which is slower of course.

Not counting updates... I do that after the fact. I find you can download the updates faster after you get it installed then if you try and download updates while installing the OS.

yeah its probably somewhere between half hour and 45 minutes. It really doesn't take long at all to get Linux installed, especially on an SSD. I don't think its that much longer on a regular HDD though.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Exactly, 30min plus 45min for Updates = Roughly 1 1/4 hours.  Otherwise it is not a full install is it?

Not sure what you mean by this, but I don't have tons of experience - just playing around with stuff, probably to much lol.

"download updates while installing the OS."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

Exactly, 30min plus 45min for Updates = Roughly 1 1/4 hours.  Otherwise it is not a full install is it?

Not sure what you mean by this, but I don't have tons of experience - just playing around with stuff, probably to much lol.

"download updates while installing the OS."

Not 30 mins plus 45 mins... but 30 to 45 minutes roughly to get it installed.

Nah a full install of Linux, to me, is booting from Live CD, hitting the install button... waiting for the system to install to HD, then booting the system (the base OS of the .iso you downloaded). Once I am in the system, booting off the HD that is full install. I can do that in roughly 30 to 45 minutes. Getting updates installed is just something you should do, but I don't count that as part of an install.

What I mean by "download updates while installing OS" is this... Ubuntu has an option to download updates while installing the OS, but this will add time to the install because it has to go out and get the updates and install them. Anyway, I don't want to hijack any more of the OPs topic... feel free to PM me for more clarification. :-)

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

TOMIS13LACK, as everyone said, just install Windows and then you can go to Dell's site and DL the drivers you need. Very simple, no need to put drivers on a disk.

EDIT

The only thing is if your LAN drivers won't work upon install... then you'll need another PC and a USB drive.

Actually the time to install linux and its components can vary on several factors, such as internet speed, what hardware you run, what software you want.

The base install of a linux distro itself may be short but depending on what you use it could take a while.

I have had installs take as little as 15 minutes but as long as two hours.

Anyhow as for the OP I do hope he will consider what I said, as there is a lot to consider switching back to windows 7 right now. Its not going to have the same support lifespan as Windows XP, and the aggrivation methinks is far worse then using linux.

Heck with the aggravation I say use windows in virtualbox

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 October 2015 - 03:05 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users