Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop shuts down, won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gebbeth

gebbeth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

Dear forum,

I purchased a new ASUS G751JL-T7028H upgraded with 16 GB of RAM. It has an i7-4720, 128 GB ssd, 1 TB hdd and came with Win 8.1. 

I open the box, plug it in, and after 2 min of use it shuts down and stops responding. After half an hour, I can boot it up again. After 5 min of usage, it shuts down again without responding afterwards. Only the light indicators blink once and that's it. I call ASUS and they told me to hold down Power Button for 15 sec. I do it, it starts working again. I start my windows set up from the beginning. Finally, I arrive at the desktop. I get update message.I click to update to win 10 and I get a BSOD (can't remember the issue name). It restarts, I try to update to win 10 through Microsoft's exe. I get a different BSOD. It restarts, I try to update drivers this time and it crashes again. No response, like in the beginning. I sent it back, they told me it's working fine, nothing wrong with it. I asked if they updated it and they said "we cant, the machine works just fine the way we sold it - updating is your problem. Call Microsoft". 

Where all these issues come from? Why does it shut down and stop responding unless I keep that Power button pressed? Why so many BSOD? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

Did it work ok with Windows 8 ?  or did you have same issues with that also.

Being a new laptop take it back and get a refund or ask them to install Win 10.

You could reinstall Win8 if they gave you a Disc , or use the recovery partition which it should have.

Then if Win 8 works ok and no issues after a week or so , then you can try and install Win 10 again.

If it still gives Problems , take it back for a refund , or replacement.

#3 gebbeth

gebbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Did it work ok with Windows 8 ?  or did you have same issues with that also.

You could reinstall Win8 if they gave you a Disc , or use the recovery partition which it should have.
Then if Win 8 works ok and no issues after a week or so , then you can try and install Win 10 again.

If it still gives Problems , take it back for a refund , or replacement.

Did it work ok with Windows 8 ?

It came with Win 8.1

They told me it's working fine. So no replacement/refund. I asked them to update it and they said "we provide it with Win 8.1 and it's working normally. Updating is your issue. Contact Microsoft"

Edited by gebbeth, 12 October 2015 - 03:23 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:30 AM

The business is correct.  Their only obligation is to restore you to a working laptop with their installed Windows 8.  Period.

Updating is indeed your business, I recommend letting the business restore you to a great working laptop -- and not updating to Windows 10 until the cause[s] for the earlier failure has been identified.  And, I recommend getting a couple of external hard-drives, a good backup/restore program, 'cause your data is important! and should be backed up on a regular basis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 gebbeth

gebbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

The business is correct.  Their only obligation is to restore you to a working laptop with their installed Windows 8.  Period.
  Updating is indeed your business, I recommend letting the business restore you to a great working laptop -- and not updating to Windows 10 until the cause[s] for the earlier failure has been identified.  And, I recommend getting a couple of external hard-drives, a good backup/restore program, 'cause your data is important! and should be backed up on a regular basis.

Fair enough, I understand that with updating. I also understand that it's a new laptop with a new version of windows being tried to update it with. There will be problems. But we can agree that a non updated software is a bad software.

The important thing is this though: random shut downs after which there is no response. Unless I factory reset or something. I can't use a laptop, or a pc, saving everything every other minute. This is ridiculous. I need it for online gaming as well. I'm trying to identify what is the cause for that, not the company's policy. I need tech support not customer advice. But your response was enlightening nonetheless. Thank you for that.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

I'm sorry if I missed some important details!  Did you report having problems with the business-installed Windows 8 also?  If so, I apologize for missing that!  Can that business fix your computer - get it back to great working condition?  I hope so.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 October 2015 - 05:16 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 gebbeth

gebbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

I'm sorry if I missed some important details!  Did you report having problems with the business-installed Windows 8 also?  If so, I apologize for missing that!  Can that business fix your computer - get it back to great working condition?  I hope so.

Yeah of course I reported that! I wrote them an essay explaining the issues. They said "it's working fine". 

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

I hope they work with you - to get you up & running!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users