Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to format external 2TB HD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kip123

kip123

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hello,

I purchased a WD 2TB internal HD (using it in enclosure) - was able to partition (single simple).  Drive shows in system with drive letter, but blank.  However, when formatting I get error message "Windows unable to complete format".  I am not using Quickformat.  It appears to start to format - progress bar showed appox. 75% complete after about 8 hrs -  but then receive error message.

OS is Win 7 64 bit.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

If the drive shows with a letter is should already be partitioned and formatted. It should not take 8 hours to format a hard drive.

What does Disk Management show when the drive is attached?  Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

#3 kip123

kip123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

see attached

Attached Files

Edited by kip123, 11 October 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

see attached

The External 2TB doesnt show a file system ?

I would reformat it again as NTFS / QUICK FORMAT.

Shouldnt take more than 5-10 min to do.

I use Partition Magic Free , but Windows should work just the same.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:05 PM

I second Havachat's suggestion.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Edit: Partition Wizards steps are all virtual. Nothing happens until you click apply. If you have trouble doing the format then using Partition Wizard delete the partition and create a new NTFS partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 October 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

I second the motion about deleting the partition [volume], reCreating volume and formatting NTFS.  Make sure new volume is Logical [meaning nonPrimary and certainly nonActive].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

John, actually I think it's normal for it to take 8 hours to format when you have it on a slow usb external.

#8 kip123

kip123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Good Morning, Everyone.  Thank you for your replies. 

I purchased the 2 TB to upgrade my internal HD for more space.  After my iniital postings, yesterday, I did some reading in the WD Acronis Cloning Software manual, where it stated that to clone the existing HD, the new HD should not be formatted.  In short, I started the cloning process and as of this morning, it seemed to have been successful.  See attached Disk Management print screen (I still have the original drive in place (C;/D).  I'd appreciate your feedback.  Thank you.

Attached Files

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Others may have a different Opinion but in mine.

1/ If you cloned to the external drive it should also show the 14.16 GB Unallocated Space.

Im not sure if this maybe a Recovery Partition as part of your System ?

JohnC_21  May be able to clarify further on that.

2/ To prove the Clone worked remove the old and Install the other and see if you can boot from it.

* Are you going to remove it from the Enclosure ?

3/  Also noticed x 2  DATA {I:}  ....Not Sure On That One ?

4/ I think when you Cloned to the 2TB { within the settings } it has used all the space and split the total drive space to suit , and 

resulted in the Win7 currently being 372Gig  to the 2TB being 756Gig

I would of left it the same size and then use the remainder as Data Space..IMO.

Personally i keep all my C:\ Drives as small as possible -  Operating System only { 60 - 80G }

And all My Content / Data / Files on the D:\ Partition { Rest of Drive Space }

Each to their own setups i suppose - personal choices.

Keep us Updated anyway.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:16 AM

Havachat, you and I think alike in so many ways.  I also have OS & programs on C, data/downloads/created stuff on D.

That 15GB unallocated space seems too large to be System Reserved [which mostly is 100MB], probably like you said -- the factory's recovery partition.  I've never used HD enclosures, what are potential [or possible] pitfalls to be aware of?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:18 AM

John, actually I think it's normal for it to take 8 hours to format when you have it on a slow usb external.

On full format, rather than quick format, absolutely!  Mine took most of a 12-hour period.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:20 AM

Havachat, you and I think alike in so many ways.  I also have OS & programs on C, data/downloads/created stuff on D.

That 15GB unallocated space seems too large to be System Reserved [which mostly is 100MB], probably like you said -- the factory's recovery partition.  I've never used HD enclosures, what are potential [or possible] pitfalls to be aware of?

Dont think there is any pitful on enclosures , apart from the fact if the power connection fails , unit gets dropped , or slower transfer rates.

As per OP original Post and then to say im going to fit the external drive in PC , i assumed he was going to strip it out of casing.

I would of just bought the Hard Drive as bare and install { Possibly Cheaper }.

Oh well thats why we all think different ,,,each to there own.

NOTE: All my external Drives { 7 } are in Caddys and attached through 2 Racks on Main PC { EZswap 2 } http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/159

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

The 14GB may have been a recovery partition at one time but now it's just 14GB of unallocated space with no file system. If this was a one for one clone then the clone would also have 14GB of unallocated space. Some software will allow you to adjust the partition sizes on the fly when cloning to another disk. The OP may have done this.  Below is an image from Aoemi Clone software showing you the option to resize the partitions.

edit-disk.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 October 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#14 kip123

kip123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

Thank you very much for all the input.

Yes....I will take it out of the enclosure and install and give it a test run....stay posted .........

When cloning, it did not give me the option to adjust the size of the partitions based upon the size of the new drive. This option is given in the instructions ("proportional"), however the option never showed.  I was only able to clone "as is".....which is why I ended up with extra partitions, I guess.  :unsure:

This is my first try at this....so bear with me.  

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

No probs , keep us posted as to the results , and if any further help may be required from BC Members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users