Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor has no signal on a new PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kanadon

Kanadon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

I just acquired an HP P6532F without a hard-drive and RAM. I replaced both, but the display doesn't work. I've tried multiple monitors/cables and taking out the CMOS battery.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02218266

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

No hard drive and no RAM...... why?  I just gotta see all lights flashing here, the CPU or mobo faulty perhaps?

The first step is to see if the mobo boots..... to be exact bios POST (Power On Self Test).  The first thing that happens at 'Power up' the bios does a 'self test' POST, some machines have a internal speaker some don't, those that do you can expect to hear a bleep as the bios does it's self- test the monitor will also come up then and only then will the hard drive start to load data into RAM.... until then nothing happens only until after a successful POST will the hard drive begin to load data into RAM.... so whats does that tell us...? 

At the POST stage pressing a button, varies with differing brands which is usually F8 with HP it may be F10 key, start tapping whatever button it is for your brand like a woodpecker as soon as you power up and you will get into bios set-up. NOTE: we are NOT going to adjust anything in bios.... This is just a test.  We want to know of the mobo is able to boot.... er, POST.

Disconnect everything except the power supply, RAM, CPU, fans and graphic card (if used). This leaves the mobo it's fans, cpu and power supply.... obviously we need the mouse, keyboard and monitor connected.... be sure to disconnect unused USB devices too-:

Now then with this 'bare bones system' you should be able to boot to the bios screen.... if you can't it is pointless to proceed any further.... no bios screen, no bleeps indicate that the fault lies within the mobo or one of devices connected, could be RAM, graphic card (if used) or cpu or even the power supply a common known problem, remember this is the first stage of computer startup and without this nothing else will happen.

There is another reason for disconnecting everything like we did, one of the devices could prevent the bios doing a POST, including faulty USB devices that may be left plugged in un wittingly.  The only 'gotcha' here is being sure to be tapping the right button  like a woodpecker immediately you power up, go to HP website and you sure to get the info for the right button to tap.

Whilst in there look for blown capacitors,  "A what...?" Have a look at this link  to get an idea.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1102467-bad-capacitors-how-to-spot-them/

Checking the mobo first is the way to go I'm afraid, without this bios Power On Self Test nothing is going to happen until the bios 'has looked in the mirror and checked itself out', as said you'll get the POST and be able see the bios screen with just the CPU mobo RAM and power supply.

Now then, supposing all was well and bios was OK... with no RAM's or faulty RAMs you won't get the Bios giving the thumbs up but it WILL tell you in no uncertain terms that there's no RAMs or you have a ram fault.... it will give a series of bleeps, the number of bleeps depends up on the fault the bios finds on the mobo.... these are known as error codes and can be obtainable from various sites.

After saying all this, don't overlook the simplest and commoner things first - power supply could easily be the culprit, stick my neck out and say this holds the number 1 spot.

Dave

Edited by Pentodes, 14 October 2015 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users