Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Control Panel Set To Be Killed Off

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

One of the confusing aspects of Windows 10, carried over from 8.1, was the continuing existence of two ways to modify the Windows 10 settings. The traditional “Control Panel”, found its way into Windows 10 alongside the Windows 8 entrant, the touch-oriented ‘Settings’ app.

Even the upgraded Settings app for Windows 10 was missing some significant functionality compared to the older Control Panel which is perhaps reflected in Microsoft’s decision to temporarily retain it for the Windows 10 launch. However, as Neowin reported, Microsoft have been pushing to merge the two implementations to reduce “complexity” and develop a “leaner” solution. That solution will see the eventual retirement of the Control Panel.

Some users remain concerned that administering Windows 10 settings using the new app instead of the Control Panel will result in a degraded experience. Several Windows Insiders comment about some bugs, crashes and missing features in the Settings app. Hopefully Microsoft’s decision to ship the full Control Panel with Windows 10 is indicative of their strategy to wait until the Settings app is fully stable and delivers the same power and control.

WinBeta also notes that the retirement of Control Panel for Windows 10 also has implications for hardware and software vendors. Currently they are able to add “applets” to the Control Panel to allow users to access advanced features and settings in their drivers. Control Panel also has a myriad of advanced configuration options, making the migration more challenging for Microsoft.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

Unless they make the Settings app far better than it is they would be wise to wait a while before killing off control panel.  I'm already frustrated that things that used to be simple to do (e.g., changing the name of the network connection in Network and Sharing) has become well-nigh impossible.  It's also frustrating that certain things that used to be accessible via control panel no longer are.  It took me quite a while yesterday to figure out how to change a network classification from public to private, and the way one does this in Settings makes no mention, none, of the Public/Private designation within windows itself.  Having the choice of making the device discoverable on the network it's connected to doesn't tell you in any intuitively obvious way that this also changes Windows own classification of the network to "Private" if that setting is on or "Public" if that setting is off.

[attachment=171457:WiFi_Settings_Win10.jpg]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

It seems like every OS Microsoft came out with after XP more steps or clicks are needed to accomplish the same thing. In XP I could right click the network icon in the system tray and select repair. Simple. Then Windows 7, 8, and 10 did things differently. I am not sure what Microsoft intends to accomplish by creating a whole new learning curve on each OS. I wonder how much Microsoft paid to develop those icons in the settings app?  :rolleyes:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

There seems to be a trend by MS to make all things settings more opaque rather than more transparent.

In most of the XP Control Panel dialogs if you could see it you could either click it or right click it to make changes.  You were led where you needed to go.  

While I definitely like the search feature in settings, the layout of the various screens leaves a lot to be desired in addition to not identifying what the actual effect of the change is within Windows itself.   I also think that while some of the results of picking a given option are abundantly clear, e.g. what Microsoft accesses if you elect to use Cortana, others distinctly are not, e.g., typing setting.

Even I realize that not everything can be perfectly transparent, but a lot of it could be far more "translucent."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

D'accord, JohnC_21.  One more thing they keep getting wrong.  Great that we still have Godmode, and it works the same in 10 as in 7 and 8/8.1, but I'm sticking with 7 and prior;  even 7 is not really useful.  Can surf with it natively and use my old XP programs, but search is awful and so is the Start Menu, no ability to make toolbars at both top and bottom (well, unless you use SmartSuite or old MS Office and add stuff that way).

Really tired of the MS merrygoround, am not trying new builds, not until they get rid of aka.ms/msa Paras 2, 3, 7 and the associated telemetry, even if were 10 perfect.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Windows 10 is an abomination.

Sorry, but that's exactly how I feel, having had the misfortune to contend with it recently on other peoples computers.

It is a bad joke on computer users, but probably OK for those of the sheeple mentality, who don't mind being sheepishly dragged along to whatever patch of feed the master wants them in.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#7 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Jargos, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I know that it's popular, especially here, to denigrate folks who have installed Windows 10, Bash the OS all you want, but understand that we are not all sheeple. Some of us enjoy grazing in multiple pastures.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

Jargos, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I know that it's popular, especially here, to denigrate folks who have installed Windows 10, Bash the OS all you want, but understand that we are not all sheeple. Some of us enjoy grazing in multiple pastures.

Yep.

Win7, Win8.1, and Win10.  The fact is that, eventually, Win10 (or whatever comes after) will be the only one left.  MS is not going to support earlier versions of Windows in perpetuity.  Anyone who's been dealing with computers for any period of time knows that upgrade or die is not an exaggeration as time goes by.  I am endlessly amazed that some people think they'll be able to use WinXP until the end of time (and think that they're more "secure" doing that).

~ Brian Vogel

#9 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

Merely installing windows 10 to test it out or whatever doesn't make you a sheep. But if someone accepts windows 10 and what it's like, and they are ok with it, then yeah, that's a sheep. Or if that's not a sheep then what is? Actual sheep on a farm have more privacy than that.

#10 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

I can see how my earlier comment might have been too general and thoughless. It wasn't my intention to call all W10 users sheeple, so I would like to correct that.

#11 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:27 AM

Yep.

Win7, Win8.1, and Win10.  The fact is that, eventually, Win10 (or whatever comes after) will be the only one left.  MS is not going to support earlier versions of Windows in perpetuity.  Anyone who's been dealing with computers for any period of time knows that upgrade or die is not an exaggeration as time goes by.  I am endlessly amazed that some people think they'll be able to use WinXP until the end of time (and think that they're more "secure" doing that).

Upgrade or die .. WOW .. that paints a very bleak future. Reminds me of;

You will be assimulated (the Borg).

You are either with me or againstr me (GW Bush)

Heard of Linux ? I have. I'm doing the transition, and it's the best choice I ever made. And MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, intuitive, logical, sensible, than that W10 abomination.

#12 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:30 AM

Merely installing windows 10 to test it out or whatever doesn't make you a sheep. But if someone accepts windows 10 and what it's like, and they are ok with it, then yeah, that's a sheep. Or if that's not a sheep then what is? Actual sheep on a farm have more privacy than that.

My overwhelming impression (other than that it's an abomination) when I have had to use W10 is that rather than IT do what I want, it is trying to make ME do what IT wants.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

Yep.

Looking at Microsoft's support end dates Windows 10 has an end of extended support date of 2025** (unless you are unlucky enough to have some hardware borked on a service update) so Windows 10 will not be Microsoft's last OS I guess. 

** Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period. Update availability may vary, for example by country, region, network connectivity, mobile operator (e.g., for cellular-capable devices), or hardware capabilities (including, e.g., free disk space).

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

My overwhelming impression (other than that it's an abomination) when I have had to use W10 is that rather than IT do what I want, it is trying to make ME do what IT wants.

@sparklestar:  Your opinions about what is and is not acceptable is not the gold standard for the world.  You might want to meditate upon that.  There are many people well aware of the tradeoffs involved and who choose to take them because it gets them what they'd like to have for a price they're willing to pay.  If it doesn't suit you, then just don't do it, but stop calling anyone who does a sheep.

@jargos:  And this is different than virtually any contemporary operating system other than Linux in what way?

Defaults have to be chosen and no one is likely to be entirely satisfied with the defaults no matter what those are.  I've not had any more significant difficulty tweaking Windows 10 to disable features I don't want and tweaking the user interface in ways that specifically suit me than I have in earlier versions of Windows.

Every time MS releases a major OS update this same routine gets played out.  I've also hear similar when Apple has pushed out major OS releases as well.   

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Edited by britechguy, 16 October 2015 - 09:39 AM.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

Yep.

Upgrade or die .. WOW .. that paints a very bleak future. Reminds me of;

You will be assimulated (the Borg).

You are either with me or againstr me (GW Bush)

Heard of Linux ? I have. I'm doing the transition, and it's the best choice I ever made. And MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, intuitive, logical, sensible, than that W10 abomination.

Yes, I've heard of Linux and experimented with it.  I have years of experience with Unix in its various flavors.  If that floats your boat, then go for it.

That doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has an immense embedded base of users, most of which are in business settings, and they, like all companies, have a life cycle for their products.  It is a fact that Win7, Win8, Win8.1, and, yes, Win10 will not be supported in perpetuity.  If you wish to stay on an MS-based platform you will upgrade or die.  It is that simple.

The fact that there are other options to MS is obvious, and if you go with one of those the issue of upgrading is irrelevant.   If you don't choose to go with one of those then upgrading is going to be mandatory at some point in time.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users