Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Connecting To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I'm sure a lot of you uses iTunes (maybe I'm wrong?), so hopefully I should get a helpful answer somewhere in the future.

Recently, I've been throwing out Windows Firewall for third party firewalls. Since ZA Free seems to cause clashes and hog system resources, I've been using Sunbelt Kerio Free or Sygate free. Both of them tell me that iTunes is trying to access the Internet and repeatedly. Unfortunately, my Internet connection is much slower than usual at the moment (if I find out that someone is stealing kilobits off of my wireless I'm going to skin them alive), I just have Sygate or Sunbelt block iTunes; everything seems to run fine with iTunes when I block it.

So, my question is: Is it ok (in terms of the iTunes performance and security) to continue blocking its Internet access?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digidave

Digidave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

I don't know anything about I-Tunes. But what i can tell you is this, the reason it wants to connect to the internet is to look for updates & probably for media information. Windows Media Player will go out & get info on the song you have highlighted & get the album art & such. So, to answer your question, it won't matter if you don't allow it. It will work normally. But, I wouldn't be afraid to allow it access to the internet. It's just trying to do what it was programmed to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users