Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't open.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Huntchez

Huntchez

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate

Toshiba Satellite Series L755

After somewhat recovering from a stream of malware and viruses, I am returning to a problem I've had for the past months: Windows Update being unable to open.

After doing some googling, I am aware that my problem is different from the others. No error popup or anything, it just won't open. It's Started and set to automatically run in Services.msc, so that's not the problem.

kFRgD.png

Turn Automatic Updating On or Off: Gives me this kFRj9.png this makes me think it might be a file or registry error.

Check For Updates: Nothing opens, no error popup.

View Installed Updates: Works as normal. Although my last update was 9/9/15, the 'Window Update' and 'Check For Updates' still haven't been able to open.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

Have you tried running the automated troubleshooter / repair tool found here  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us ??  Also Microsoft Fix It tool here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Edited by digitalmatter, 10 October 2015 - 10:51 PM.

#3 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Have you tried running the automated troubleshooter / repair tool found here  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us ??  Also Microsoft Fix It tool here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Ran the first program, got:

kGrWL.png

Went to my Windows Update section, same problem persists.

Ran the 2nd program, seemed pretty simple. Went to my Windows Update section, same problem persists.

#4 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

Okay lets try this

Start>run>services

Stop the Windows Update Service

My Computer > C: > Windows > Software Distribution > DataStore

delete the folders and files stored in the DataStore folder

Go back to the Software Distribution folder and openup the "Download" folder

delete all the folders and files in the "Download" folder

go back to your services again and restart the Winows Update service

these are general instructions I just typed up. Let me know how it goes.

#5 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

Okay lets try this

Start>run>services

Stop the Windows Update Service

My Computer > C: > Windows > Software Distribution > DataStore

delete the folders and files stored in the DataStore folder

Go back to the Software Distribution folder and openup the "Download" folder

delete all the folders and files in the "Download" folder

go back to your services again and restart the Winows Update service

these are general instructions I just typed up. Let me know how it goes.

There were only 1 folder, and 1 file in the DataStore folder. Deleting them did nothing.

There was nothing in the Download folder. Restarting the Windows Update server did nothing either.

#6 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Okay let us try this....

Open up Windows Explorer and paste the following without quotes into the address bar  "%windir%\servicing"

You will be looking for a folder named "Sessions" Is the folder there? Are there XML files inside? If there is no folder named "Sessions", do you see a file named "sessions" instead?

#7 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Okay let us try this....

Open up Windows Explorer and paste the following without quotes into the address bar  "%windir%\servicing"

You will be looking for a folder named "Sessions" Is the folder there? Are there XML files inside? If there is no folder named "Sessions", do you see a file named "sessions" instead?

I have a Sessions folder, yes. It has XMLs, and copies that end with .back .

#8 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

Right click on that sessions folder and select the security tab. 

Click the edit button and make sure the following permissions are set, or change them yourself

System - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Administrators - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Users - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Trusted Installer - make sure every box is checked

Hit apply - okay  

k7jG79X.png

#9 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

Right click on that sessions folder and select the security tab. 

Click the edit button and make sure the following permissions are set, or change them yourself

System - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Administrators - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Users - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read

Trusted Installer - make sure every box is checked

Hit apply - okay  

k7jG79X.png

I did that as Full Control and Modify were unchecked. and It gave me some pop-up showing XMLs and something about access being denied. I pressed cancel as it just kept popping up with the different XMLs. I assumed it did cancel, but the Full Control and Modify remains checked.

Edited by Huntchez, 11 October 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#10 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

So your permissions on the folder were already set the way I had posted? 

I attached a file I had that automates a Windows Update Fix. Credit goes to whoever made the file as I cannot remember, but it was another tech support forum around the web I had grabbed it from.  It will reboot the computer.  Run the file as an administrator.

Let me know after.

Attached Files

#11 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

I attached a file I had that automates a Windows Update Fix. Credit goes to whoever made the file as I cannot remember, but it was another tech support forum around the web I had grabbed it from.  It will reboot the computer.  Run the file as an administrator.

Let me know after.

It didn't reboot my computer. I assume I need to do it manually. I will make another post in about 5-10 minutes, assuming one of my other unrelated problems doesn't get in the way of the reboot.

#12 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

Let me know after.

It didn't reboot my computer. I assume I need to do it manually. I will make another post in about 5-10 minutes, assuming one of my other unrelated problems doesn't get in the way of the reboot.

The Cowbys game is on so I will be a little away until it is over but I will check back at half time.

#13 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Let me know after.

The Cowbys game is on so I will be a little away until it is over but I will check back at half time.

Rebooted my computer (Just fine for once), and the problem still persists. I ran the bat as admin before the reboot.

#14 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

This is definitely weird to me now. I can try to go a little further but at this point I am only throwing some troubleshooting darts. 

You said this started happening after a stream of Malware infections? You had also mentioned to me you are dealing with other computer issues. What else is going on? At the top it seems like something could have screwed with the OS as the above fixes usually work.

Try running system file checker for me real quick

Open an elevated command prompt by hitting Start > cmd ( right click and open as administrator )

use the following command without quotes   "sfc /scannow"

Maybe someone else lurking on the replies might have some more insight to anything else. I even decided to do a web search for anything else and the above methods are scattered in various ways.  Me personally at this point, I would try a repair of Windows 7 Ultimate.

#15 Huntchez

Huntchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

This is definitely weird to me now. I can try to go a little further but at this point I am only throwing some troubleshooting darts. 

You said this started happening after a stream of Malware infections? You had also mentioned to me you are dealing with other computer issues. What else is going on? At the top it seems like something could have screwed with the OS as the above fixes usually work.

Try running system file checker for me real quick

Open an elevated command prompt by hitting Start > cmd ( right click and open as administrator )

use the following command without quotes   "sfc /scannow"

Maybe someone else lurking on the replies might have some more insight to anything else. I even decided to do a web search for anything else and the above methods are scattered in various ways.  Me personally at this point, I would try a repair of Windows 7 Ultimate.

No no, this has been an issue before I got hit by a malware/virus bomb.

The other things going on consists of DNSAPI.dll missing errors, even though this can be bypassed by running programs as admin (Thus why I am here able to post), constant wrong password pop-up on F8's Repair Your Computer (I enter the password right), and finally Command Prompt's Sfc /scannow which detects some ffles that cannot be repaired, but because of whatever it 'fixes,' my Windows 7 becomes no longer geniune upon the next restart, forcing me to do a System Restore to a point before to fix it.

The DNSAPI.dll missing errors and the /sfc scannow problem occured last week, when I did a forced shut down (holding the power button.) Before that my laptop was pretty fine.

Edited by Huntchez, 11 October 2015 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users