Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ribbons Screensaver Crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tequatl

Tequatl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

You guys know that Ribbons screensaver that has been coming with Windows ever since, like, forever now? Well, I wanted to use it for my two screens, but 75% of the time, a few seconds after the screensaver starts, it crashes with this error: http://i.imgur.com/VxQsdSP.png (You may have to click inside the image to zoom in if you're using a smaller screen.)

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on this machine, and it has no model number, because it is custom built.

As far as what I've tried so far: Well, not much, as I don't know how to tackle this issue. I went to add Ribbons.scr to the DEP exception list, but you can only add .exe files to the exception list, apparently, as seen here: http://i.imgur.com/GlfWmDH.png

Anyone else get this issue or have any clue what to do from here to get this screensaver to run consistently? I really like it, and I don't want to use any of the other ones. XD

Edited by Tequatl, 10 October 2015 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

Screen savers  were used back when people were using cathode ray tube type monitors.  If a image was left on the screen long enough the image would be burned into the screen.  But with the advent of LCD and LED monitors this doesn't happen.  So... my question is why are you bothering with a screen saver?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

Not that I want to butt heads with you on this concept, but it seems image retention on LEDs is still quite possible: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/led-television-burn-in-does-it-exist-389480/ And I never turn my screens off, because it messes up the position of all my windows that I keep open, since I'm using more than one monitor. As such, I wouldn't want my desktop image left on there all hours of the day that I'm not doing anything with my PC.

Not that I'm only using the screensaver for that purpose, though. I plainly just like the way this screensaver looks when I'm doing something else slightly away from my PC more than just having a static image sitting there.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

What ever floats you boat.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

I have an LED tv that I sometimes use as a computer monitor and it has crazy image retention. You go make a sandwich and come back and it's burned in - but, it's not permanent, it goes away if you turn off the tv for an hour. But when you go to watch a show or a movie and you are stuck seeing burned in menu bars and stuff, it still sucks. LCD and Plasma screens can burn in the letterboxing black bars too.

So you can still need screensavers, but yeah, you can just use a different one. (For normal computer situations, yeah, I don't use screensavers anymore either.)

Tequatl, you may be able to solve the messing up of the window locations by using Ultramon. Leaving your monitors on all day just to keep window positions seems like a waste of electricity.

I can run ribbons no problem here. Try updating your graphics drivers?

Edited by sparklestar, 12 October 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#6 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

Thanks, spark. I will consider UltraMon, though I see I have to start with a trial.

As far as my video driver, I'm using GeForce Experience to stay up to date with it. It pretty much tells me within the same day a new driver comes out, and here it lists my driver version: http://i.imgur.com/B3Trfnu.png

Edited by Tequatl, 12 October 2015 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users