Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!! 5TB external drive says it is FULL!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TiredofPC15

TiredofPC15

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Please help!

I have an HP pavilion laptop with a 500GB hard drive.  I have about 270 GB of information in my internal drive.  I hooked up a 5TB Seagate drive to make scheduled backups since December 2014 and now the drive says it is full.  I know I have not saved 5TBs of information in my internal drive....... what am I doing wrong??? How can I clean up the external drive so I don't have duplicated files? and how do I prevent it from creating duplicate backups?  I thought an external drive would only backup the drive by adding copies of the new files it found..... is that not the way it works???  will manually deleting the duplicated files ruin the back up entirely???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

I'm wondering if your backup software was set up to include incremental as well as differential basckups?  I think incremental keeps any and all copies, oldest to the newest in date-modified, size-modified, etc. -- which means your 5TB backup drive can fill up sooner or later.  If your a graphic, video person, you would be surprised how soon those large files can fill even a Black Hole.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

Also Is the drive set as Fat32?

#4 TiredofPC15

TiredofPC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

Wow!.... I guess I am clueless at this.  Not sure if it's set at incremental, would love to know how to switch to differential, if that makes a difference.

Fat32???.... Again, clueless.  Any way you can help me find out?  Is there something else to change the setup and improve the way it is used?..... Can it be done without ruining any of the information already saved?

Thanks for your replies.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

what is the backup program?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

As Roland asked he would really need to know what back up program you are using. There are many and not all of them work the same.

Most would start with one full back up and then back up only the data that has been changed since your last back up. [Saves a lot of space].

Some programs call this incremental or differential back ups but not all.  You would really need to check your programs settings and help files to see what you are using is capable of doing.  Like I said not all of these programs work exactly alike. Some are just better at what they do.  Some may do way more than you actually need.

I mean one could just copy to a drive but then you need to remember when and where You actually last copied from.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

I do know from experience Windows 7 backup for example, will just keep adding new backups until it fills the drive.  You need to manually manage the backup space with that particular program.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

Over here, I have been only doing full imaging of both the  OS and data partitions.  I'm thinking the spin-time & energy, computer-time & nergy, it would take to compute and then actually make differencial and/or incremental backups would be close to "hard-drive thrashing."  Somebody tell me if this is not true, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users