Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visibility of Files and Folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scottster1

Scottster1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

I could have sworn this used to work! 

In Control Panel-> Folder Options->View, I have Show hidden files, folders and drives selected, and Hide protected operating system files unselected.  But when I use Explorer to go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, I don't see the hosts folder.  Of course, if I just type it into the path, I get there fine, but why don't I see it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scottster1

Scottster1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

LOL rookie mistake - I was in a different folder and forgot to hit the "Apply to Folders" button to make this setting global.  

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

It doesn't work that way. You don't need to hit apply to folders, you just need to click OK. The Apply to folders button does not relate to the advanced settings below it, it relates to the current view of the folder you were in before you opened the folder options box. (So for example if you were in a folder that had detailed view, then apply to folders would make all folders (of that type) have detailed view from now on. So I don't know why it didn't work and then worked but it shouldn't be because of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users