Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor Flickering/Tearing/Freezing/Crashes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Noblewulf

Noblewulf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hello. 

I have had an issue regarding my computer for about a month now. Every now and them, no matter what task I'm doing on my PC, both of my monitors will continuously flicker/tear and eventually turn a solid color. I could turn off/idle my computer for hours and the issue would immediately come back. Usually I have to sit and wait for the monitors to come back or either tap my case to get my display back. I don't know where exactly the issue resides but I am desperately open to suggestions.

I have included a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about: Monitor Problem

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Processor
AMD Radeon 29 270x
2 x 4.0 GB Ram

What I've tried so far:
Multiple Restarts
Switching GPU to a different PCI-Slot
Turned off Graphics Overdrive in AMD CCC
Maxing out GPU Fan to see if it was a temperature issue

I honestly don't know where the issue lies and I can never find a thread pertaining to the exact problem that I have.

If there is any more information that I need to add on my end, I would gladly provide that to you. I have never made one of these types of posts.

If anyone could provide suggestions or anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 02:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi Noblewulf,and Welcome,

I may not be much help here,but two heads are better than one.

The thing that jumps out at me is you say  "or either tap on my case to get my display back"  sounds like a bad connection (loose,broken,etc) 

But seeing as you have moved the graphics card and presumably reseated it, So what we are left with is cables and the card itself.

If you can find away to check those it would be helpful

Good luck

Hedge 

Edit:-  Spelling

Edited by hedgeley, 11 October 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#3 Noblewulf

Noblewulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

At first I assumed it was a loose/faulty connection and tried messing around with them for a bit. I never yielded any results and the problem persisted. I eventually ruled that out as the problem because it would be unlikely for both of my cables to start failing at the same exact time.

I could try switching out GPU's to a really old one that I have and see if the problem subsides. My main suspicion is my current GPU but I am trying to see if I can discover something else before having to replace it.

UPDATE: I switched out my GPU for an old Nvidia GeForce 9500 and saw that the screen flickering and tearing completely went away. I am not sure if this is just by luck or the problem was actually my Radeon R9.

Edited by Noblewulf, 11 October 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hi Noblewulf,

Sounds like you found it.

I would have a quick check for drivers (I think AMD CCC does that for you but I am not sure) and a search for your graphics card with dual monitors (just to see if its a known problem)

Other than that I think it's a new card

Not what you wanted to here but .....

Hedge 

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

First thing I would check, which it sounds like you already have, is just loose connections where the monitor cable plugs into the video card.

Then, is the card under warranty? Can you RMA it??

If not, then I wonder if this is the kind of thing that can be fixed by cooking your video card in the oven? John C or jonuk might know. *I am not advising you to put your video card in the oven I'm just bringing up the topic*

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

@ sparklestar forget the PM (thanks any way. Google is your friend)

@ Noblewulf,

IF you have nothing to lose 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-your-Graphics-Card-by-baking-it/

Note she cleans off all the thermal paste BUT never renews it???

Hedge

Edited by hedgeley, 12 October 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

OP, to be clear, do not jump to doing this baking thing lol

#8 Noblewulf

Noblewulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

The card is over 2 years old now and the warranty is long gone. I am already looking at replacement cards to purchase.

Thanks for all the help even though it seems like a long overdue upgrade was the problem.

Baking my GPU looks ridiculous and id rather not risk it until my new card arrives. I'd be happy to try it after I get my new card running just to see if it would have worked anyway. :)

#9 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:14 AM

Noblewulf,

Please let us know weather the cook works or not

I would love to know(never herd of this before)

Hope all go well with your new one(when you get it)

Hedge 

#10 Noblewulf

Noblewulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

So, I got my new card arrived and I got it installed. The problem immediately went away so that's fantastic.

About the GPU in the oven, not so much. The problem still persisted afterwards and seemed like it was even worse than before (could be my imagination). In conclusion, I wouldn't recommend this method but I guess it's different for every card and should only stay to a last resort kind of thing. I hope that satisfies some of your curiosity.

Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions even though it turned out to be simply a card that was long overdue for replacement. :)

#11 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:59 AM

Noblewulf,

Thanks for the reply/update

Hope all stays well  :thumbup2:

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic