Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"LastPass bought by LogMeIn for $110 million", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Remote access software maker LogMeIn has acquired the password management software startup LastPass for $110 million.

In addition, another $15 million in cash is available in contingent payments if LastPass meets certain milestone and retention targets over the two-year period following the closing of the acquisition, which would bring the total price tag to $125 million.

LastPass, which is technically incorporated as Marvasol Inc., makes a popular remote access product and competes with the likes of Dashlane, 1Password, KeePass and Password Safe.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/lastpass-bought-by-logmein-for-110-million/

I don't mind LogMeIn buying LastPass (good for them, it's always good when a startup finally succeed and gets rewarded for their effort), as long as they don't discontinue the main LastPass product to offer an "all-in-one" product that will end up being paid. If it ends up that way, I'll be moving password manager.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Same, if LastPass ends up being paid then I will change password manager.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Personally, I don't use these online Password Managers. Didn't LastPass get hacked? I use Keypass on a USB key in addition to a keyfile for encryption. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Yes, it did. Hopefully merging with LogMeIn while increase their security, and I'm not worried about the hack since I have 2FA enabled on it and the passwords are all strongly encrypted.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:32 AM

Are we sure LogMeIn's intention is not buying users information rather than product?

In this case both companies will have user's passwords and is it surety that they wouldn't misuse or sell users information?

Edited by Tenis, 11 October 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Furious LastPass fans fear password wrangler's fate amid LogMeIn's gobble

LastPass has been acquired by LogMeIn, and people are deeply unhappy about the deal.

The password manager announced on Friday that it was being gobbled up by the remote-desktop software biz LogMeIn for $125m. It's expected that the deal will close over the next several weeks.

LogMeIn didn't provide details about what it would do with LastPass, but did say the password vault could be integrated with its previously acquired Meldium password manager.

Not sure it means anything but Meldium Password Manager is a paid product. 

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Time to jump ship, I guess.

Is there any way to cancel my LastPass vault to not leave my passwords with them?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

From the same article I posted.

LogMeIn says in the near-term, both the Meldium and LastPass product lines will continue to be supported and operated as standalone products, but in the long term it looks like the goal is to offer a singular identity management offering based on the LastPass service and brand.

Meldium will probably go away, LastPass will take over.

unite_blue.png

#9 Doompants

Doompants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

From the same article I posted.

LogMeIn says in the near-term, both the Meldium and LastPass product lines will continue to be supported and operated as standalone products, but in the long term it looks like the goal is to offer a singular identity management offering based on the LastPass service and brand.

Meldium will probably go away, LastPass will take over.

Hopefully this is the case.  

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

After LogMeIn deal, LastPass competitors line up to greet defectors - ZDNet

Totally expected.

unite_blue.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

This manager looked interesting but I don't know if it will become paid later.

https://encryptr.org/

#12 andrew149

andrew149

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:04 AM

Logmein is a leader in remote support industry and acquistion of LastPass is another feather in its cap. In addition to logmein, tools like teamviewer, gotoassist, gosupportnow, R-HUB remote support servers etc. are widely used by businesses globally for remotely accessing computers form anywhere anytime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users