Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF Document reader

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

Is there a good PDF reader I can download for Win 8.1, I don't care or the one that came with this machine.

Thanks

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Personally, I use PDFXchange viewer.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

+1 for PDFXchange viewer. Foxit has become bloatware filled and tool bar laden. Therefore I no longer suggest it as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Scottster1

Scottster1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

You could just use Adobe Reader.  

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

(Be sure to uncheck the "Install McAfee" box.)

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the input, I did some searching and found Sumatra PDF reader, it does what I want and has a small footprint. And it's free.

Adobe I don't care for.

Edited by Moe_P, 10 October 2015 - 02:40 PM.

Moe_P

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

As far as I know Adobe Reader is probably the most common and widely used PDF reader in existance.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

As far as I know Adobe Reader is probably the most common and widely used PDF reader in existance.

Adobe Reader has been around for over two decades.  Over that time it earned a good reputation, but it is not enjoying the same reputation currently do to the number of problems after releasing Adobe Reader XI.  One of the small annoyances with Adobe Reader XI is it no longer includes Flash Player, you will need this to display SWF files and Portfolio content in PDFs.  So now you have to install Adobe Flash Player as well.  There is an article which lists the problems that this version is experiencing when it was first released, you can read it here.  It's an eye opener.

I imagine that some of you are thinking "I'll just not use this version and stick with the older version".  The problem is that older version which are no longer supported become potential security issues.

Two of my big complaints regarding Adobe Reader is it has a very large footprint and comparatively is a resource hog.

I too use PDFXchange viewer and recommend it to others.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users