Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Monitor Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

This may be out of your area of expertise for most people but I figure I better ask. I bought an HP 2509m Monitor at a Yard Sale for $1. They said it worked but it had an issue and something had to be replaced. So I brought it home and tested it. Basically when you turn it on the Check Video Cable message comes up (since I didn't have anything plugged into it) and disappears after a few seconds. After I plug a device into it then the screen comes up like normal for a few seconds then just goes black. The device is clearly on but I can't get anything to show up on the screen until I either unplug the VGA/HDMI Cable and plug it back in or turn it off and on again. During the few seconds when something shows up then it looks perfect so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm just not sure why it keeps shutting off after a few seconds of something being on the screen. What is broken and what needs to be replaced if anything? It could be a driver issue but I doubt it since moth of these things don't need a driver. Thanks,

-BenjaminsiPod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

hmm I don't really have any idea im not a expert just a regular everyday computer user. I for one really would not bother getting anything from a yard sale that has to do with a computer. From what you describe it sounds like a faulty plug or a bad cable. It could also just be a bad monitor.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

You have learned a very valuable lesson, and it only cost you a dollar.  Always test electrical or electronics before purchasing them.  If they had the monitor I would be willing to bet that had at least one computer you could have tested this with.  At the tender age of 64 I have gone from being distrustful to downright cynical when it comes to trusting someone trying to sell you something.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

You have learned a very valuable lesson, and it only cost you a dollar.  Always test electrical or electronics before purchasing them.  If they had the monitor I would be willing to bet that had at least one computer you could have tested this with.  At the tender age of 64 I have gone from being distrustful to downright cynical when it comes to trusting someone trying to sell you something.

I knew it didn't work. They told me as much. I was just hoping it was something that was fixable. This particular monitor is worth more than a dollar in parts so I was willing to buy it anyway.... From what I am reading it seems to be an issue with the CCFL Backlights and the solder that connects them to the mainboard so I will tear it apart and see what can be done...

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

I had a tv that did that, and it needed a new mainboard

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

Awhile back, I purchased a combo drive [5.25/3.5] $7 - for the then desktop running WFW 3.11 -- it didn't work.  I only buy new.  Refurbished or used only if new item is not available.  I'm 64 also.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 October 2015 - 02:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Anything power related like that is usually bad capacitor. Check the tops of them for swelling/leakage. Sometimes even though they are not swelled or leaking they are still bad and it's worth it to just recap the mainboard anyways. I had a monitor doing this and the caps looked fine. However, after I replaced 6 caps it works fine now. It's a easy free fix for me I always got some e-scrap I can salvage parts from. Motherboards, Power supplies, older tv and monitors stuff like that.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

Both the power board and the main board have electrolytic capacitors, that one thing to look for.  But this could be either the power board or the main board, or both.  I could also be the two CCFLs.  Usually with a backlight failure you can shine a strong flash light on the screen and should be able to see the desktop.  This monitor does not have a inverter, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you would like to see a video where one of these monitors is disassembled click here

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users