Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 File Explorer Not Finding Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DDE12

DDE12

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

File Explorer is not finding some files that are present on my PC with my current settings and I don't know what else to change so that files will be found. 

In Folder Options View Tab I have Show hidden files, folders, and drives enabled.  In Folder Options Search Tab I only have Include System directories checked.

In C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes I have many files whose name contains Arkham.

If I click on This PC in the Navigation Pane and then type Arkham in the search box, I get No items match your search.  What do I need to change so that the search will find these files.  Ultimately I would like search to find any file on This PC whether it be system, hidden, or read only.  I don't need for search to look in compressed archives (just the archive name).  Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and helping me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

The issue is that Windows Search will, by default, only search through indexed files and AppData is, by default, excluded from indexing.

To change Indexing Options to include Appdata:

1.  Go to Settings and search for "Indexing Options".  This dialog will appear:

2.  Click the "Modify" button at the bottom of the dialog.  This dialog will pop-up:

3.  Click the "Users" line at the bottom, which shows that the Appdata directory for your own user and the Public user are not searched.  Once you do this, the upper part of the dialog will change to get you to Users, which you then hit the dropdown arrow next to to see your list of users:

Once you've opened the dropdown for the user for whom you wish to include Appdata in the search, check the box next to Appdata.  If you want this for the Public user you will need to do this for Public as well.

Once indexing has completed on Appdata, which should happen very quickly, your Appdata files are now included in the search. 

Another option, particularly if you like to search by filename as many of us "old-timers" do, is to use the Search Everything program from Voidtools.  I love this program far more than Windows Search when I'm not looking to search on file or archive contents, which is the vast majority of the time.  I've been using it for years and it's behaving just like it always did on Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 DDE12

DDE12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thank you Britechguy for taking a look at this.  I do not have Users in my list at the bottom.

Attached Files

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Are you running Win10 Pro?

As you can see in your own screen capture, Appdata is noted as excluded on the C:\ drive.  I would click there instead, then you should be able to drill down to

C:\Users\{correct user name}

and find the Appdata folder/directory for said user.  It will be unchecked for indexing, check it and you should begin finding the files you say you're looking for.

The screen captures I posted are from Win10 Home 64-bit.  I have a Win10 Pro 32-bit but since it's not necessary to fire it up for this issue I didn't do that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 DDE12

DDE12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

I had to uncheck some of the boxes in the top section to removed the exceptions.  Seems odd to me.  It is finding all the Arkham files now, specifically.  Does it look to you like I have eliminated exceptions and will search all files and folders now?  Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

I presume you must have re-checked the box for the C:\ drive.

It certainly looks like you'll be getting *everything* being searched, including a lot of stuff you probably won't want.  I still think that based upon what you are attempting to do you'd be far better off using Search Everything and leaving Windows Search pretty much as it is set up by default.  However, if you've got what you want at this point then more power to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users