Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shows startup logo then blue screen flashes up and restarts.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TimonHolla

TimonHolla

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

Okay, So I have been busy trying to get my old laptop started up again. 

When I start it up, it does the usual stuff, it shows the logo. But then a blue screen flashes before my eyes. And it restarts again.

Now, I have gone through multiple things to try and fix the problem, but I just can't seem to resolve it. 

I have tried safe mode but the same thing occurs. [blue screen]

Then I tried to start up the laptop with the f8 option called "start up using settings from last succesful startup" (Roughly translated out of Dutch)

but this also failed and the same thing happens. Then I tried to go to the "recover your computer" option, of which I still remember that from there you can set back your laptop or pc to the factory settings, something that I wouldn't mind because I just want the laptop to start. I don't care if I can recover the files that used to be on it. This also fails, but this one is a bit strange, because when I select the "recover your computer" option it goes to a normal windows screen, no text shows up or anything. Just my cursor and a nice shiny loading background screen of windows. It feels like I have tried everything and I've looked at other posts on the site but I just can't seem to fix it, mostly because I cannot set the laptop back to factory settings, because of the shiny blue loading screen without text, which is all I want.

I figured out how read the blue screen that flashes up (not the shiny loading screen) so here it is: 

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. 
If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software . Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safemode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA8003261CD0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I am hoping you can tell me something magical and positive, but I am thinking that I'm royally *beeped*.

*btw, I can remember my big brother saying that he removed some file and that from that moment the laptop wouldn't start up again, but I have no clue what file or if that is even the truth*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

It sounds like you have been able to boot into the Advanced Boot Options.  If you still can move the pointer to Repair your computer, then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, it's an HP G72.

I am able to get into the Advanced Boot Options and I can select all the options, which I did. But the only thing I really want to do is get into  Repair your computer. So I can get the laptop back to factory settings, now this is something I think will do the trick (setting back to factory settings) but I am not sure, because I have a limited background in these things.  

So I select "Repair your computer"

But when I do this a blue loading screen comes up, in which I can move my cursor but cant select anything because there are no options. Pressing enter doesn't do anything either.

It looks like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByGaU_niH5UrdzVTRXZBSlhBZ28/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks in advance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

I do not. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

Start the computer and immediately start tapping the F11 key.  Normally this will initiate the recovery partition.  If it does work, follow the instructions to do the system restore.

#7 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

So if I do that I again get this blue loading screen (not the blue screen of death) that I linked before. In which I can move the cursor but there are no options or anything.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

I was afraid that would be the case.

Can you boot into the BIOS?

If you can, see if your hdd is recognized.

Do you have a computer with the same version of Windows 7?

#9 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

How do I boot into the BIOS?

And no I do not. 

Thanks for the quick replies by the way. 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

Start the computer and immediately start tapping the F10 key.

#11 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

I am in the BIOS right now, where can I see if the HDD is recognized?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

#13 TimonHolla

TimonHolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

My BIOS looks really different. It's divided into: Main, Security, Diagnostics. System configuration and Exit. 

I can't really do anything that is shown in the video, because when I press delete or any button at all it makes a beepings sound and does nothing. 

In the Configuration section I found an option called "Primary Hard Disk Self Test" and I'm currently doing that, so I'll come back to you on that.

But your original question was if the HDD was recognized, and based of off the fact that I'm doing a Primary Hard Disk Self Test, can I be so bold to answer your question with a "Yes"?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

You are doing the primary hdd test from the BIOS?

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Similar happened to me awhile back...wondering if OP's hard-drive OS partition is no longer marked Active and/or is no longer Primary.  I had to use Acronis Disk Director to reset my OS partition as Primary and Active.  Of course, if System Reserved partition exists - only it is marked Active.  While SysRes is Hidden, OS partition should not be Hidden.  If Windows DVD's Startup Repair can be run -- it does all of that for you.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 October 2015 - 02:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users