Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard&Touchpad Not Working Anymore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tequatl

Tequatl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

I have a G72-261US Notebook that I've been using for many years now, and I recently made the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on it. This made the Synaptics touchpad act all funky, so I researched the internet and found a driver that would work properly with it. It's been running absolutely fine ever since, until Windows 10 decided it wanted to automatically update the driver a few days later, which made it funky again.

I tried uninstalling the driver, just like I did last time, in order to reinstall the driver I had found that works fine, but after uninstalling and restarting, before I could install the working one, the touchpad is completely unresponsive, and none of the keyboard keys work. Not even the num lock or wifi LEDs will toggle when I press them. The computer is stuck on the login screen with the time displayed on it, just before you make it slide away and type in your password to login to Windows 10.

The one button that works is the power button, and I've tried restarting multiple times now with no luck. It ALWAYS gets to the Windows 10 login screen and just doesn't care what buttons I press. I can plug in a USB mouse, and that works to let me click away the slide screen to where I'm supposed to enter my password, but I can't enter my password since the keyboard isn't working... I even tried plugging in a USB keyboard, but it's the same problem as the keyboard built into the laptop. None of the keys work, not even the LED toggles for caps/num/scroll lock.

What can I do? The keyboard only works in the BIOS, but none of the options there seem to be helpful to me. The system recovery option just makes it boot to Windows the same way it does normally, but that's probably because it doesn't have a system recovery partition anymore. It also has no restore points.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

The first thing I'd try is another USB keyboard.  It's odd that a straight USB mouse would work fine but not the keyboard.

Also make sure you wait a while after the machine boots up before starting to try to work.  I noticed on an old Dell Inspiron 1720 that I used for the "Windows Insider Program" and that now has Win10 Pro 32-bit that I have issues with the mouse or mouse pad not functioning correctly if I don't wait for all of the boot up disc activity to cease before I start any sort of work on the machine.  When I do that everything generally works fine, at least for a period of time.  If I don't I get the "semi-freezes" that I mentioned in another thread.  That machine was not certified by Dell for upgrading to Win10.  I'm not having any issue on a much newer HP 15-g035wm that I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

I've tried two USB keyboards on it, one of which I use all the time on my main computer, and the other which has been in closet storage. I have kept the laptop running since I posted, and still no keyboards will work, so I know it's not a freeze. I can click anything with the mouse-

Actually, just now found and used the on-screen keyboard to get my password in. Logged in just fine! Installed the Synaptics driver that works now and restarted, and everything is working again.

Now, my question is, despite me having used the Windows 10 tool to hide the latest driver update for Synaptics, which breaks functionally, Windows Update STILL continues to download and install it automatically. How do I stop this behavior? I just want it to leave my mouse and keyboard alone! The driver I install myself works just fine, and it keeps overriding it with the latest version, which keeps breaking it!

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Depending on how the driver is being installed, it may arrive as an update from Windows Update afterwards. Use the tool below to disable the driver update if this doesn’t help.

To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.”

How To Geek

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

You can set WU to: notify you of available updates, you choose what to download and istall.  And, if/when any hardware, firmware, driver related items appear, you can Hide same.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Roland,

If you know exactly how to do this in Win10 then please post the steps.   I have found absolutely no way to pick and choose.  The only options in Windows Update are "Automatic" and "Notify to schedule restart".

[attachment=171408:Win10_Update_Options.jpg]

While you can go into the Update History to uninstall specific updates, that's not particularly helpful if it does something like disabling your mouse/keyboard, and even less so if you can't permanently choose to keep it from coming back.

[attachment=171409:Win10_Update_History.jpg]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

Depending on how the driver is being installed, it may arrive as an update from Windows Update afterwards. Use the tool below to disable the driver update if this doesn’t help.

To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.”

How To Geek

Thanks, but I went there before, and I already have "Never install driver software from Windows Update" checked, but it's still doing that Synaptics driver... I also have the tool "wushowhide.diagcab" from Microsoft to make it hide Windows 10 updates, and despite hiding the driver from the list of updates it checked for, when Windows Update starts downloading updates again, I can see it still downloads the Synaptic driver when watching the update window!

You can set WU to: notify you of available updates, you choose what to download and istall.  And, if/when any hardware, firmware, driver related items appear, you can Hide same.

Windows 10 Home doesn't have that ability to choose updates, exactly how britechguy says above this post. :c

Edited by Tequatl, 10 October 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'm really sorry to learn that the tool "wushowhide.diagcab" that leithanne pointed to (and I'd missed before my prior post) doesn't work under Win10 Home.

I really find it inane that this function isn't included as part of the default update process and working "as advertised."  While I get MS trying to get away from people who want to prevent any and every update from installing, and then having fits when their systems are eventually compromised and MS (as well as others) can't or won't support them if the myriad security updates were not installed, everyone knows that there are occasional issues such as this one that really require one to skip a given update now and again.

Ugh!

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Tequatl,

Have you tried the bit shown in the hardware settings on the page that leithanne posted the link to?  I can get to it by going to System->Advanced and then clicking on the hardware tab once that is up.

It might work for you.

#10 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'm really sorry to learn that the tool "wushowhide.diagcab" that leithanne pointed to (and I'd missed before my prior post) doesn't work under Win10 Home.

I really find it inane that this function isn't included as part of the default update process and working "as advertised."  While I get MS trying to get away from people who want to prevent any and every update from installing, and then having fits when their systems are eventually compromised and MS (as well as others) can't or won't support them if the myriad security updates were not installed, everyone knows that there are occasional issues such as this one that really require one to skip a given update now and again.

Ugh!

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I would rather it be like Windows 7 where I could always choose what I wanted to be downloaded, and everything had always worked out fine! But no... There's also the problem of WHEN I want updates installed. My Windows 10 laptop just decides it wants to start downloading updates while I'm multiplayer gaming, and it screws everything up...

Tequatl,

Have you tried the bit shown in the hardware settings on the page that leithanne posted the link to?  I can get to it by going to System->Advanced and then clicking on the hardware tab once that is up.

It might work for you.

I have tried it, and I posted above with how I had checked "Never install driver software from Windows Update," and it seems to ignore that for Synaptics. Here's what I have in a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/oAzrqLu.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

This might be a time to (at least attempt) to get Microsoft involved.  They do seem to be interested in making Win10 go as smoothly as possible and, like all things new in software, there will be bugs to be worked out.

Keep us posted on what's happening.

#12 Tequatl

Tequatl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

Alright. I will post here with anything of note.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a workaround for this, like a cmd command or registry change that I can try to force Windows Update from downloading the Synaptics driver, if anyone knows all about that sort of stuff, I'd be willing to give any of that a go, as well.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

...earlier post about WU notify - my bad!  I forgot this is a Windows 10 topic.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users