Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Zonealarm Firewall And Avast Free Coexist Well?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

I once tried using ZoneAlarm free and Avast on a Windows98 computer. It worked well but I haven't used it long enough to be sure.

I now have a chance to try ZoneAlarm free and Avast free on Windows2000 computer.
I'm uninstalling McAffee firewall and on-access scan (hope it does not leave traces!)

I intend to take the latest Avast, and ZA 6.5.714 (not 722 which is current, but has some issues with the hosts file). There is also Pest Patrol running as resident on this computer, a corporate version, not the one from CA.

I will be using Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D on demand.

Any suggestions? advice? golden thoughts on the mix and installation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

That should work fine. I would include the following free programs to help prevent spyware, homepage hijacking and increase your browser security:
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD

And use Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 as a stand-alone scanner to supplement your anti-virus program.
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

Thanks quietman7 (and thanks for all your security posts as well).

I have SpywareBlaster (that's the javacool thing, right? I'm at work not in front of computer) on XP. Can it coexist with PestPatrol? Or should I disable one?

I haven't had much luck with Ewido on my XP (it loads and it loads and it loads and it loads ad infinitum), so I have been using a-squarei nstead, once a week or so. I plan to put a-square on this Windows2000 machine. I also forgot to mention that I use Linksys router and it too is locked up pretty tight. ZA has little to do really other than watch outbound stuff.

One reason I'm doing all this is because at some point I want to transfer the knowledge to MY WindowsXP machine instead of using ZA security suite. This W2000 is just experimental ground and slated to be trashed at some point. On the other hand I need to keep it clean, because it'll be connected on my LAN and I want to be sure when I copy/use files I don't infect MY computer.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

Spywareblaster blocks tracking cookies and restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again. Using it will not cause conflicts with PestPatrol.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

Great, thanks again. Now I understand what it does. I also reread the instructions here & it' beginning to sink in, finally :thumbsup: Actually it's all very simple and slick, isn't it?

Re:Ewido - I kinda remember what the problems were on my XP
First, it was telling me that some java thingies weren't in. Well, they were. And ZoneAlarm Suite was allowing it all to go in.
I think I then installed by getting the download at the office and bringing it in on a flash.

I installed it as per instructions in these forums or CastleCops (don't recall). Specifically NON-RESIDENT (or equivalent wording). Only to find few days later that it was resident and conflicting a bit with the suite. That's when I gave up on Ewido.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

After selecting "Change state" to inactivate 'Resident Shield' and 'Automatic Updates' and right-clicking on ewdio in the system tray to uncheck "Start with Windows", did you also do the following?

Go to Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press "OK".
  • Click the "Extended tab" and scroll down the list to find ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard.
  • When you find the guard service, double-click on it.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Manual".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close the Services window.
If not, the service will continue to run.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

Makes sense to me. I bet not. It was about a year ago. Had I been doing it today, I'd probably mess with the service. I've learned few things, here, since then, but didn't iterate to some old issues :thumbsup:

It's good that you posted this reply, in case I have to do it again and for others reading this as well.

Thanks again!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

Fedback: Zone Alarm free (6.5.714.000) and AVAST (4.7.844) are in, no problems whatsoever on Windows2000 computer.

AVAST installer saw ZoneAlarm. During the installation came an important dialog requiring correct answer. Apparently there is a conflict with a component of AVAST called "WebShield". AVAST and ZoneLabs are talking. WebShield is affecting users of ZAPro, and other products (Sygate & others), which have web privacy protection feature. It does not apply to ZAFree as the free version does not have the privacy feature (being just a firewall par excellence). More information:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16199.0

Bottom line - as the installer suggests
- answer NO if you use ZA free
- answer YES, meaning turn off the WebShield feature, for ZA Pro
None of this applies to ZA Security Suite, as it has all those features already built in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users