Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format a Toshiba 1TB External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:28 AM

My son needs to format his new External hard drive for his Ps3. It is NTFS and needs to be Fat 32.  He asked me to do it for him. When i click Properties and format I get NTFS Default and Exfat. Without confusing me with Technical jargon, could someone tell me if this is the same as Fat 32. I personaly dont know anything about Ps3 and as to why it needs to be in Fat 32 format So does anyone know if Exfat will do whats needed.  His old drive was a 500 mb which was allready formatted for his needs, but no longer works. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:15 AM

Try MiniToolPartition Wizard and format to Fat32.     http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Make sure you choose the correct drive when formatting.

1/ Select the Drive / Right Click.

2/ Choose Format

3/ Select  Fat32

4/ Click Apply Tab.

Any issues read Help File. 

#3 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

Thank You Havachat. I installed  Minitoolpartition wizard and chose Fat 32 and its been running now for some time. It states its now Fat 32 but when i close Minitool it tells me " You are about to quit the program and cancel all pending operations.The changes you have made will be lost Yes or no". It still shows on Computer as NTFS. I dont think its working. If i format it in properties on the Hard drive to Exfat its done in seconds.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

You need to click Apply after doing the operations as all operations are virtual. 

Edit: After creating the partition run Partition Wizard again and make sure the partition is using all of the disk space as FAT32 has a 32GB partition limit and I am not sure if Partition Wizard can override that limit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#5 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

Thanks to both of you. I never clicked apply. Its worked ok 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

Is the full disk showing as FAT32? I would like to know if Partition Wizard was able to format the full TB drive. If you run Partition Wizard again it will show the size of the partition.

#7 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

Yes, it seems to work ok. It shows as 931.51 GB Capacity and Fat 32 File system. It also shows when i click Computer and the drives properties as Fat 32, 931 GB. I wont know if it works untill my son uses it for his PS3 and he lives quite a way from me so ill give it to him sometime next week and let you know

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

That confirms that Partition Wizard was able to format FAT32 past the 32GB limit which is nice to know. PS3 should not have a problem seeing the drive.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

The 32GB limit for a FAT32 partition within Windows is an arbitrary design choice made by Microsoft that Windows itself will not offer to format a larger volume in FAT32. The FAT32 file system can accommodate partition size up to 2TB, and anything that disregards Windows' own formatting utility can utilize this.

Edited by Platypus, 10 October 2015 - 10:33 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users