Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Safety of reinstalling an OS from a bootable drive used at a large store

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_oamru8_*

Guest_oamru8_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm about to reinstall the OS on my Macbook via a Genius Bar appointment at a particularly large Apple store in Australia. They have a bootable drive with every OS from 10.4 to the latest one, 10.11, El Capitan. It's been recommended to me that I don't reinstall the OS from an online source, but what's the risk of using the external of the Genius Bar that's presumably been plugged into many Apple products before? BadUSB, etc. Would it be less risker to do it online via the Apple store's unsecured wi-fi? I know for a fact that on a clean install, the Macbook's firewall is not turned on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

Can I presume that you have backed up - or will back up - all your own data before you take your laptop in for this work ?

I am not quite sure what your concern is - whether is is with possible corruption or infection of a downloaded source or the same possibilities from the store's equipment.

Purely as an opinion I would think you would be safer with the store's version. After all they are doing the work and presumably have a reputation to maintain. Apart from that I imagine you would have some sort of consumer rights under Australian law if the job went bad.

But back up your data first. In the event of something going wrong the OS and all your applications can fairly easily be replaced. Your own work can't.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Guest_oamru8_*

Guest_oamru8_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

Can I presume that you have backed up - or will back up - all your own data before you take your laptop in for this work ?

I am not quite sure what your concern is - whether is is with possible corruption or infection of a downloaded source or the same possibilities from the store's equipment.

Purely as an opinion I would think you would be safer with the store's version. After all they are doing the work and presumably have a reputation to maintain. Apart from that I imagine you would have some sort of consumer rights under Australian law if the job went bad.

But back up your data first. In the event of something going wrong the OS and all your applications can fairly easily be replaced. Your own work can't.

Chris Cosgrove

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I'm not concerned about losing my work/data, that's all fine. I'm concerned about any malware on the bootable drive being transferred to what is supposed to be a clean erase of hard drive and clean install of the OS. Presumably since this is the bootable drive the Genius Bar folks have plugged into many Macs before, and as a general rule I've been told not to trust any USBs you haven't managed yourself...I'm a little worried.

Thank you for your contribution.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

When I took my Windows 8 laptop to Altex [AustinTX] for a rollback to Windows 7 Pro, I could have been concerned with getting PUPS, kittens, etc. Naw, I chose to not worry, for the same reasons as a previous poster gave:  this business also had and has a reputation to uphold.    My vote:  go with the Apple store.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 October 2015 - 05:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Not quite answering your question (I have no evidence of safety or otherwise, but would be inclined to think it's safe to allow the Apple Store to install an OS for you - you could even bring your own blank USB stick - making a bootable key is a 5 minute job) but if you choose to download, you might be interested to know how to verify the integrity of any downloaded files using SHA1 hash checking (link explains). If the calculated SHA1 sum matches the expected value you can be confident that the file is complete and not tampered with.  This page gives SHA1 (and MD5) values for the El Capitan installer components.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 October 2015 - 10:40 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users