Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 erwinpreza

erwinpreza

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

I'm fairly new to the world of computer repair. I would like to know if anyone knows of a good application to diagnose hardware problems? If not, what is some good advice or resources on how to learn to diagnose hardware problems? Any help is appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 03:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:44 AM

Hello.

You have a couple of people reading this who are better than I am, but please tell us why you want to diagnose problems.

Do you currently have problems, or think you may have problems ?

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 erwinpreza

erwinpreza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

I'm not currently having any problems; this is hardware diagnosing in general. I imagine you cannot use the same application or approach on all  hardware problems. Just need some orientation on how to approach diagnosing hardware problems on a computer. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

ahhh, you're going to enter the world of computer repair!  Ok, one tool that can be helpful in an indirect way is Piriform's Speccy.  If Speccy cannot get a decent read and produce a decent quick-report on any particular hardware item -- that would clue you in to research and use other hardware diagnosis tools on that particular hardware item.  tweaking.com's Hardware diagnosis utility can be added to your tool kit.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 October 2015 - 10:33 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

I started to post a bunch of tutorials I've compiled, but I had to rethink this.  You should start Googling to learn how to troubleshoot the different components in a computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

dc3, are those tutorials on BC?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

Roland, you've seen me post all sorts of tutorials here.  So yes, they have been posted here of the last decade.

Just giving these tutorials to the OP will not teach them what they are for or why they should run these.  The best thing they can do is to start reading the Windows forums to learn about repairs.  There is no other way they are going to gain an understanding.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

I'm fairly new to the world of computer repair.

Very sorry to reply in this manner, but from the above quote I do not know if you know about 10 basic software tools, or even if you have 10 basic hardware tools in your kit and if you know how to use any of these... dc3 has posted and shown many people how to use mainly software, for many years (I was not a follower then) but more specific details are required, like parts being tested, reasons for testing, etc. .. As far as I am aware there is no "good application to diagnose hardware problems" as the testing of HDD's and down to a mouse can all be called hardware.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#9 erwinpreza

erwinpreza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:42 AM

Thanks, not just for the answers, for the quickness guys! I realize it's a broad question, just need a starting point.  

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Well I can give you a good start.

Find old version of Hirens boots 10.4 is the best I have used till now. ----> LINK

Once you have the *.zip downloaded you need to decompress it and use Rufus for burning bootable CD.

The most important tools you are looking for are :

Memtest86

HDD regenerator - will not work with SSD hard drives.

This is the 2 most important stuff you need to check.

The rest is capacitors on the motherboard, fans and in general power supply.

Anything visible as damage on the boards will be mandatory damage.

And this is only basics if you are literate with electronics will be easy to make computer hardware diagnostics.

I hope Bleeping computer do not mind posting links :) 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

The most important tool...is your brain and the knowledge/understanding that may lie within regarding the functional aspects of system components.

"Hardware problems" is a pretty broad category....some components are easy, some are difficult...diagnosing any component or combination of components requires more than just a checklist...judgment and experience enter into the equation, along with some understanding of what cannot cause a given effect.

Google is a start in the right direction, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#12 erwinpreza

erwinpreza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

Good stuff guys! Once again, thanks! I return the favor when I have a little more experience :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users