Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot loop when using on-board VGA/graphics

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 kapre420

kapre420

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hi, i'm about to sell my old GPU, So i removed my GPU on my motherboard, and tried to use my on-board vga graphics

but i'm stuck at asrock logo infinite loop non stop (see youtube video below)
i can stop it when press F2 to go BIOS

So if i press F2 fast, i can go and stay at BIOS, i tried to reset the bios settings, changed the graphics settings to ON-BOARD.
After that nothing has worked, So i put my GPU back again, and it worked again just fine!!

So it ONLY happens when i'm trying to use my on-board graphics.

I uploaded a video with what i am actually experiencing.

CPU: Intel G645
MOBO: Asrock h61m VS R2

Things that i have done:
*reset the bios by removing cmos battery
*remove all nvidia driver for my GPU
*set onboard graphics as PRIMARY on bios settings
*updating latest BIOS

I'm here now using my PC, because i put my graphics card again, I can use it just fine

I'm searching the net for hours :??:

please help me! Thank you.

Edited by kapre420, 09 October 2015 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:03 PM

any help?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Did you ever get the onboard graphics to work? According to ASrock specs the graphics only work if the intel processor has built in graphics. There is no onboard graphics chipset as such.

*Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals and the VGA outputs can be supported only with processors which are GPU integrated.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031174.htm

What is the difference between processor graphics and integrated graphics?

Processor graphics refer to graphics that are physically in the processor package or integrated into the processor silicon. Integrated graphics are when the graphics functionality is built into the chipset. Both integrated and processor graphics require a video port on the motherboard in order to function.

Which Intel® Desktop Processors include Intel® HD Graphics in the processor package?

Select a link below for Intel HD Graphics version, drivers, processor specifications, and compatibility information on Intel® Desktop Boards:
Intel® Core™ i7 Desktop Processors that include Intel HD Graphics
Intel® Core™ i5 Desktop Processors that include Intel HD Graphics
Intel® Core™ i3 Desktop Processors that include Intel HD Graphics
Intel® Pentium® Desktop Processors that include Intel HD Graphics

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

I haven't seen that happening before.  Have you tried updating the BIOS on your motherboard?

Does the onboard graphics work when the GPU is installed?  i.e. can you switch the cable across to the motherboard VGA connector? According to the manual you'd need to enable something called VGA Memory Share to prevent the motherboard disabling onboard graphics when another video card is inserted.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 October 2015 - 09:30 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:28 PM

Might try deleting the drivers GPU through control panel in safe mode.

Edited by OldPhil, 09 October 2015 - 09:28 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

@JohnC_21

Did you ever get the onboard graphics to work? According to ASrock specs the graphics only work if the intel processor has built in graphics. There is no onboard graphics chipset as such.

Yes. Just now, It seems to work when graphics share is enable on bios settings. So it's working, then i shutdown, removed graphics card, turn on, SAME PROBLEM.

It just really work when there's a card on the mobo. 

@jonuk76

Does the onboard graphics work when the GPU is installed?  i.e. can you switch the cable across to the motherboard VGA connector? According to themanual you'd need to enable something called VGA Memory Share to prevent the motherboard disabling onboard graphics when another video card is inserted.

Yes it does work, so i think the motherboard's vga is good. 

But the problem is....... I't doesn't work when the GPU is installed, still getting the exact thing on the video that i posted.

@oldphil

Might try deleting the drivers GPU through control panel in safe mode.

I didn't try this yet. 

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

Well, as the video appears to be showing it just looping before the OS even begins to start, it suggests (to me anyway) something going on at a lower level than driver problems.  Video showing from the integrated VGA when in "shared mode" indicates there is unlikely to be a fundamental problem with the processor graphics.  I don't know if it could be some weird interaction with some other piece of hardware.  You could try booting with minimal hardware attached: no unnecessary USB devices, maybe even temporarily unplug data cables from drives etc.  Obviously it won't "boot" without a drive, but just to see if that has any impact on the boot loop behaviour.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:39 PM

I tried booting up with just motherboard + RAM + processor it just boot straight to BIOS. 

motherboard + RAM + processor + HDD it goes again the loop

Do you men think this is a hardware problem?

I've already done many things. Reformat is last thing i can do, I have format my pc a long time ago, maybe that can cause some problem?

Edited by kapre420, 10 October 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

I am not sure it is a hard drive problem if you can boot to Windows if you have your GPU attached. 

Try the following. Attach your GPU so you have windows access. Download Puppy Tahrpup linux heretahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Burn the iso file to a disk. If you have Windows 7 or later you can right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Make sure your optical drive is the first bootable device in BIOS. Remove your graphics card and then boot the computer with Puppy. Can you get to the Puppy desktop? If you can then it's a possible issue with Windows. 

#10 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

hi i am able to use my onboard GPU now!!!! by doing my last resort REFORMAT WINDOWS 7 OS, and now, its working good.

But the bad news is i got a new problem. i got random shutdowns! temp is just 60c what the hell is happening   

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

I would do a memory check using memtest86+ and also a disk check using Gsmartcontrol. Let memtest run for at least 6 passes. Look in Event Manager for any clue as to the shutdown.

#12 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

I will do it. But for now the event viewer showed me Critical Kernel-Power

#13 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

i tried to boot memtest from USB right now, but didn't get working, i was still chosing from the memtest menu and my pc has shutdown AGAIN :'( even i'm not on windows yet.

and about disckcheck, is HDD can cause auto shutdown too?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

It seems like it's more of a RAM problem. What happens if you only use one stick of RAM? If it still autoboots then switch RAM sticks. Then switch RAM slots if it still autoboots on one stick of RAM.

#15 kapre420

kapre420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi, i'm on memtest now currently testing. i think i'm just "lucky" that i didn't get a shutdown yet!

actually i only have 1pcs 4gb of RAM. 

-----------

FAST EDIT:

i said i was lucky that i didnt get shutdown. my pc shutdown just now! LOL, like 4mins of memtest

while running memtest

I'm on my laptop BTW

Edited by kapre420, 11 October 2015 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users