Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Av's and AM's cleaning the dead wood

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

I know that Av's and other security products have to clean out the deadwood so to speak. Removeing malwares that are no longer used much. I realize this is necessary to keep the program more manageable and efficient.

I sometimes wonder if after a time some of them are being reintroduced maybe even improved. One that comes to mind is a really old joke/nuisance virus/worm from long ago [think win 95 and 1.44 mb floppy].

It was not a real threat did not cause any system damage just infected what ever was used to type with or in.

Worked on all platforms/ browsers/ office/Open Office/Corel anything that you might write with filling forms on line or just typing a letter.

How it worked while typing words;lettere sometimes whole sentances would disappear or you would suddenly find your self typing in the middle of some line/sentence that had all ready been typed.  Like I say just a nuisance no real harm.

Even back in the day many vendors did not consider it a high priority and did not even look for it.

However every version of windows sooner or later it's behavior would show up on every system I have ever owned or worked on.

I would assume that if some older virus showed up infecting enough systems that their definitions would be added back into the what to look for list of each vendor.  However until then those who did get infected were just out of luck.

Just a real old timers observation.  Just for reference for me this is happening once again at bleeping computer.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:46 AM

The thing is, Windows 9x's kernel is way more different from, say, Windows 7. Malware that are made to work on those old OSes will not run on modern OSes and vice versa.

I would assume that if some older virus showed up infecting enough systems that their definitions would be added back into the what to look for list of each vendor. However until then those who did get infected were just out of luck.

Modern AVs are not just the definition-based scanners they used to be back in the day - most of them incorporate some kind of heuristics or behavior based detection that will allow them to detect unknown malware, even the old ones. So I doubt that people are "out of luck" :)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

Malware writers would much rather target a large audience through social engineering where they can use sophisticated but less technical means than proof-of-concept viruses. Social engineering has become on of the most prolific tactics for distribution of malware, identity theft and fraud as opposed to a virus, Trojan or worm.

This is because it has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users