Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware removed but now can't browse internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flyby

Flyby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hi
I have a Windows 7 64bit home laptop, it was infected with Malware. I installed MSE and it removed the malware but now can't browse the Internet, I've tried chrome and IE. I have tried to install malwarebytes but get a runtime error. I contacted their support and was asked to run FRST and send them the two log files which I did but not heard back yet. If anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 October 2015 - 03:26 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:22 PM

Type CMD in the search box. Right Click > Run As Administrator. (Elevated Command Prompt) Type the following commands and press enter after each. Then reboot.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Sometime removal of malware will corrupt Winsock and TCP/IP

If the above does not work then type

sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt. This will look for any corrupt or missing system files.

#3 Flyby

Flyby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hi JohnC

Thanks so much for your help.

I tried all your suggestions but still unable to browse and after the sfc I got a Windows is not genuine message.

I did a system restore but still had problems although Internet browsing now working in safe mode. I ran msconfig and disabled all non Windows services and startup but still couldn't browse. I tried again to install malwarebytes which has now installed and is running a scan. I am hoping that will find and cure the problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

I would recommend you also run HitmanPro if you have internet access. I believe it works in Safe Mode with Networking. I am not sure why you would get a Not Genuine Message using sfc.

Can you access internet in normal mode using Ethernet?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

I contacted their support and was asked to run FRST and send them the two log files which I did but not heard back yet. If anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated.

Hello,

Did you post on their forums? That is generally the method to use when submitting such files. In any case, it can take a while to get a reply whether on their forums or on our malware removal forums. Doing stuff on your own after submitting such is unwise as it can make the malware removal process more difficult. I see that you have also posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593024/internet-explorer-and-chrome-not-working-after-malware-removal-please-help/

Please choose ONE topic to continue with and ask that the others be closed. I'd suggest that if you continue here at BC to post those FRST logs as a reply to your other topic and request that your topic at malwarebytes be closed and that this one be closed as well to avoid confusion.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users