Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Linux No0b

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:17 AM

So, whats the 411 on linux
if i have XP, cna i set it up so i can swithch between the two OS's easily?
will it eat my hard drive?
what makes it so special?
what is this partition i hear about?
is it better than windows, or id it made to do dofferent things?
is it worth having in teh end?
all i kno about linux is a pengiun and a red hat,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Diogenes

Diogenes

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

if i have XP, can i set it up so i can switch between the two OS's easily?

Well, it is possible to set up both operating systems on separate partitions, but only if you really know what you're doing. (I have tried configuring a dual-OS box similar to what you want to do twice, and both times I ended up overwriting the Windows OS, but these failures were probably due to hardware constraints.) Check the system requirements of both OS's and then make sure that your computer can handle giving about half of its hard drive to a linux filesystem.

Well, first of all, Linux is open source software. (Translation: IT'S FREE.) The big caveat? Because it's free, it's not perfect. The programs used (particularly in the GUI, that is, the graphical interface) are from all over the place, and these programs may have bugs in them (although at this point most of the bugs have been sorted out.) Also, Linux is considerably less user friendly than Windows or Macintosh. By this, I mean that the dialog boxes and tooltips in windows that tell you that you should get the latest updates from the internet for your programs are either non-existent or considerably less obnoxious. (Some people hate this, some people love it. I fall under the latter category.) Linux (at least Red Hat, and I'm pretty sure that this is true of most of the other Linux systems available) also comes standard with a vast array of programming compilers. Finally, linux has an extensive library of terminal and shell commands that allow a user to perform basic edits of almost any file should the GUI fail.

is it worth having in the end?

If you're looking for an OS to do programming work, sure. If you'd like to waste time playing simple games, there's an extensive library of those. If you're running a server-like computer for a home/small business network, sure. But if you're going to use it for office work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), be careful. Make sure that whatever file format you use is compatible with all computers. .doc and .xls are compatible in OpenOffice, SunOffice, and of course Microsoft Office. But the defaults for OpenOffice and SunOffice (.sx_) are not currently compatible with MSO, and MSO2007's file format (.docx, .xlsx, .etcx.) is not compatible with the other systems either. Further, if you are trying to share files within a network, you have a large challenge ahead of you (I have been at this task for a year and a half and nothing has come of it.)

Hope this helped to answer some of your questions.
-WR, child of DOS & Windows 3.1
Win98SE, XP Pro, Vista, Red Hat 8.0, Red Hat Enterprise 4.0

"Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate."

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hay there toshibauser
I'm somewhat new to linux , I only use "Live CDs" but I luv it so far. Un-like windows you can find a version of LInux to suit you to a "T" porbably if you look and try all the different "flavors" out there. Most of them are free to download and the Live Cds don't need to use the Hard drive at all, just pop a cd in and start it up, no need to install it unless you want to (I'd wait to see if you like it first) Plus running in Memory only it's about as safe as you can get. I use Damn Small Linux(3.0.1) it does everything I need it to do, it has Firefox and E-mail ,also most extensions for Ff work as well (unless noted)

http://www.linuxinfo.dyndns.org/tell_me_a_...about_linux.htm
http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
http://www.tuxs.org/dolive.htm (links at left also)

I'm sure other will add more

Edited by no one, 19 July 2006 - 11:15 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

if i have XP, cna i set it up so i can swithch between the two OS's easily?

Yes Very Easy

will it eat my hard drive?

Nope You determin the partition sizes
Posted Image(My Laptop with a 40GB HDD running WinXP Home. Mandriva 2660 and SuSE 10.1)

(Translation: IT'S FREE.)

Thats not entirely true, generally it is free But you don't get direct support from the provider of the Distro.
whereas If you pay for it you'll be entitled to support from the provider of the Distro.

Which means You Don't have to pay to use you PC unlike certian other OS's :thumbsup:

what is this partition i hear about?

Basicly a Partition is Where any OS is installed to on the HD the size can be set by the user during the installation process.
In this instance My 40GB HDD is divided into several partitions (The Blue partition is Windows)
Posted Image

is it better than windows, or id it made to do dofferent things?

Long-term Linux users will say its better, Long-term Windows users will say no.
Linux will do pretty much anything windows can do Without the need to BUY third party software ie photo editing, Office tasks (spreadsheets, letters etc), web-page editing, firewall, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, popup blockers . . .

There is also the benifit of being able to surf the net without fear of spyware/virii as most of thse rely on .EXE's which linux doesn't

is it worth having in teh end?

Its definatly worth TRYING put it taht way.

You could as no one says use Live Disks
(These are however Slow to load as the are being read from CD/DVD so bear that in mind before you say its Slow :flowers: )
If you have 8GB+ free space on HDD it may be worth trying an installed Distro

Edited by AmBush, 19 July 2006 - 01:32 PM.

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

You could as no one says use Live Disks [/color](These are however Slow to load as the are being read from CD/DVD so bear that in mind before you say its Slow :thumbsup: )

or if you've got at least 128mb (as I) your can use a "cheat code" like "toram" at startup and it loads everything into memory and speeds things up a bit :flowers: plus as old as this box is I'm used to slow :trumpet:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hay there toshibauser
I'm somewhat new to linux , I only use "Live CDs" but I luv it so far. Un-like windows you can find a version of LInux to suit you to a "T" porbably if you look and try all the different "flavors" out there. Most of them are free to download and the Live Cds don't need to use the Hard drive at all, just pop a cd in and start it up, no need to install it unless you want to (I'd wait to see if you like it first) Plus running in Memory only it's about as safe as you can get. I use Damn Small Linux(3.0.1) it does everything I need it to do, it has Firefox and E-mail ,also most extensions for Ff work as well (unless noted)

http://www.linuxinfo.dyndns.org/tell_me_a_...about_linux.htm
http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
http://www.tuxs.org/dolive.htm (links at left also)

I'm sure other will add more

so i can save one of the linux downloads to a disk, and run it off that, and decide if i like it from there
and for a partition, at startup, can i choose wich one
i no linux probobly has some pluses, but my computer is mainly used for photoshop, gimp, blender, etc.
and for highschool.

and btw thanks for all your replies

Edited by toshibauser, 19 July 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#7 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

so i can save one of the linux downloads to a disk, and run it off that, and decide if i like it from there

Yeah No problem i'd recomend Mandriva for beginner it's what i did even set up my website with

i no linux probobly has some pluses, but my computer is mainly used for photoshop, gimp, blender, etc.
and for highschool.

Well you shouldn't have too many problems there The only area Windows has the edge on Linux IMO is 3D Gaming But Cedega :thumbsup: is a way around that I am trying to get BF2 running then i can ditch Windoze.

Posted Image

#8 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Sorry, have never used Photoshop ,Gimp or Blender( no want or need ) but, it looks like both Gimp and Blender are already Open Source and might be included on some of the larger distros . Hope you have access to Broadband or your downloads could be rather time comsuming, I just download the ISO files and then used nero in windows to burn them as a image to Cd. if I can figure it out I'm sure most can. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#9 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

so, i download the ISO thingy and then what is Nero

#10 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

Nero is software for Burning (copying) files to CD might i suggest an alternative and possibly easier solution,
Purchase a Copy of Linux Format or a magazine of that ilk most of them have Live Distro's on the Cover DVD
Your newsagent may put it in a brown paper bag for you too :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#11 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

^^i kno that was very precise and informal, but i did not follow that, i have a CD burning software already, so i just have to find out where mandravia can be downloaded at, burn it to a cd, turn of computer, put in CD, turn it on, boom, there we go?

Edited by toshibauser, 20 July 2006 - 12:39 AM.

#12 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:16 AM

Its definatly worth TRYING put it taht way.

You could as no one says use Live Disks [/color](These are however Slow to load as the are being read from CD/DVD so bear that in mind before you say its Slow :thumbsup: )
If you have 8GB+ free space on HDD it may be worth trying an installed Distro
[/quote]

i have toshiba laptop with an 80 gig harddrive al to myself, im 14, ill never use it all, lol. So..
i am game for the partition, is their by chance a tutorial?, ans sorry for the liek two posts in a row there.

Edited by toshibauser, 20 July 2006 - 01:17 AM.

#13 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

so, i download the ISO thingy and then what is Nero

Hay there toshibauser
nero (burner software) came with my cd burner .

i have a CD burning software already, so i just have to find out where mandravia can be downloaded at, burn it to a cd, turn of computer, put in CD, turn it on, boom, there we go?

yep, pretty much :thumbsup: sorry, I've never used Mandriva so I cant tell you any thing about it
http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads
http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/mandrivaone

(min.Hardware Requirements)
CPU: All Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron, Sempron processors

RAM: 256MB minimum, 512MB recommended.

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

Graphic Cards: NVIDIA®, ATI™, Intel® i8xx and i9xx.

Sound cards: All Sound Blaster compatible cards and AC97

too new for my old box .
couldn't tell you about installing to hdd , never done it so far.

Posted Image

#14 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

thanks for your help no one, but im gonna have to find out how to make a partition because the file is 659mbs, and my CDs are only 650, thanks abunch though.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

There is also the benifit of being able to surf the net without fear of spyware/virii as most of thse rely on .EXE's which linux doesn't

Don't become too complacent.
Those times, are a changing.
You may not be as safe as you think you are.

Linux has a case of worms, too; the number of malicious programs targeting that OS doubled between 2004 and 2005. Rootkits, the looming threat for Windows PCs, actually trace back to attacks meant to take surreptitious control of the administrative "root" user on Unix OSes. Also, while being able to run your own personal Web server is part of the open-source draw, doing so can allow crooks to hijack your site or take control of your PC.

No Safe Haven: Threats Plague All Platforms

This is on page 11 of an article I found at PCWorld. I posted a link to the article here:
10 Biggest Security Risks
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users