Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I give myself read and write access to these locations?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hello, How do I give myself read and write access to these locations, as seen in the attached image?:

Attached File  2015-10-08_0816.png   113.48KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:04 AM

FIRST - you back your registry up.  You will be messing with areas that can quickly make your system unbootable - so you'll also have to know how to restore the backup of the registry when you're not able to boot to WIndows.

Then you open up regedit, right click on the key desired, and click on Permissions, then on the Advanced button to give greater access.

I really do not suggest doing this - especially when you're messing with core Windows components.

There may be an easier way to fix this (such as uninstalling/reinstall a fresh copy of the snagt (1).exe program )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

I used to love the original version of the Jv16 power tools.  How ever monkeying about to aggresivly with their registry editor or any registry editor can be hazardous to your computer in unskilled/knowledgeable hands.

I know the hard way killed a few of my own systems before.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Usasma's assessment is correct - you should not mess with the permissions.

Instead of fiddling with registry permissions. Try running the app "as Administrator" once - maybe it will be able to write what it needs to that way and save you changing things that should not really be touched (seriously!)

Even better - maybe there is a newer release of snagit that plays nicely as a non-admin user.

Relaxing permissions in system areas was a useful tactic back to get poorly written software to run as non privileged users in the XP/Win 2000 days, but those days are long gone (hurrah!), however it comes at the expense of un-securing the target system. Relaxing permissions to the "session manager" key or the "control" key seems line a particularly effective method of un-securing the system.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users