Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I were to post a tutorial where should it go

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

I've noticed all the people asking about "how can I remove gwx" and thought it might be a good idea if I wrote a full tutorial about how, a long post with nice formatting, images to make things clear and very clearly laid out steps. Most of the people asking how to do it have the same problem effectively, the steps to fix it are the same so it would be really helpful to post a tutorial that they could refer to and ask questions about any parts they were finding tough. This would be a tutorial for windows 7/8.1 users who had come across gwx or other related things and wanted them gone. I was wondering whether if I posted suh a tutorial it should go in "Windows 10 discussion" section or in "windows 10 help" or in "windows 8" or windows 7" or in the "tutorials" forum.

P.S. I know there's been loads of controversy on this forum with arguments for/against windows 10, so is this an ok topic for a tutorial, I would intend for the thread to just be a tutorial explaining HOW people can stop gwx and get rid of it if it annoys them, NOT a debate of any kind, but I don't know if the fact it relates to windows 10 makes it too controversial a topic for tutorials.

P.S.2 There was also, a while ago, some controversy about whether renaming the gwx files was a safe thing to do. In my experience it was(I did it when gwx snuck onto one of my systems because KB3035583 was bundled into the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade), would it be ok to include how this is done into such a tutorial, I would ofcourse surround that part of the tutorial with warnings about the need to make a system image first incase there was a problem and warnings of the form "this bit is potentially dangerous: it shouldn't cause problems, it didn't in my experience, but if it were to they would be severe. Make a system image first and if anything here confuses you ask rather than attempting to do it while unsure". Would having such a part in the tutorial be ok, I would say that such renamings are only necessary if all the other steps hadn't been enough. And I could "hide" this part of the tut in a spoiler tag with a big warning above it. Would that be ok?

Edited by rp88, 09 October 2015 - 02:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

I would say that the guide should go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/95/microsoft-windows-mini-guides/

Then if you need to reference the content in a reply you can link it. That way any questions or conversations regarding the guide itself are not overtaken by events in a topic. You can also make a post that I can pin in the Windows 10 forum referencing the guide, for more visibility.

Take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/39948/how-to-use-this-forum-and-submit-your-own-guides/

and here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/39943/guide-template/

For additional information regarding creating a guide or tutorial.

Thank you for offering to create this content for our members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

It might be some weeks before I can do it though, I'm REALLY busy with quite a few things(not computer related things)right now.

Edited by rp88, 13 October 2015 - 11:14 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users