Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan speeding up with no reason in windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Okay having a very annoying issue with win10 as of late and its been baffling the heck out of me, my CPU fan without any good reason speeds up every so often in windows 10.

It doesnt do it in Linux, I have tried an array of software removals, virus scans, system shutdowns, cleaning dust out my system but for some confounded reason it only does it in windows 10 with little to no reason.

I can eliminate its my CPU, sure its a stock intel cooler but if it was a fault with my cooler dont you think it would effect linux as well?

I can eliminate my antivirus, I had panda free antivirus and removed it... installed another AV (avira) but still the issue comes with no explanation.

I have checked for steam running in the background, checked off any apps that might cause this in my system tray, turned off cortana, everything under the sun but still cannot figure this one out.

Perhaps windows 10 hates me...

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tequatl

Tequatl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

I think you should download Core Temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

And have a look at what the temperature of your CPU is when you hear the fan speed up, as well as what the load percent is on all the cores. This will tell us if there's a workload causing this.

Additionally, have a look at the resource monitor built into Windows when this happens, and have your processes sorted by CPU usage, the highest being at the top. This will point out what process is causing the workload. You can open Windows Resource Monitor with Windows Key+R to open the Run Dialog, then type in resmon.exe and hit enter.

I SUSPECT that it's probably just the automated tasks that run in Windows 10, like Windows Update background tasks, svchost operations, and such. Mine does the same thing, getting itself hot with 50-100% CPU usage from these tasks every now and then.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Another good option as far as monitoring both the fan(s) plus core temperature data and other bits is SpeedFan.

If your fans are speeding up, but then returning to normal speed after a period, my guess is that Win10 is exploiting some features, e.g., automatic speed control, that your prior OS did not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

I prefer this tool as it records the max temps also::  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Normally desktop temps shouldn't exceed:
CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

But, if the fan is speeding up - it's likely that the temp of the CPU has only increased a little.

Then the fan will cool it down and then the fan will slow back down.

You'll have to look for programs that are using the CPU at that time

Go to the Performance tab in Task Manager (details view), and click on Resource Monitor at the bottom of the windows

Then click on the CPU tab and see what's using the most CPU when the fan starts speeding up.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

Yeah I got told the same basic thing on other forums I visit, I just got worried as I never had this issue before.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

As I sit here typing, my system turns the fan on/off as I work.

If you're worried, set the temp monitoring software to give you an alert if the temps get too high.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users