Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i properly put a windows 7 iso on a flashdrive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have a debian wheezy pc and i am trying to put windows 7 back on it. I managed to find a way to get an iso and i have a valid product key. I formatted the flashdrive(8gb) in NTFS and, using UNetBootin(A legitiment software used to put iso s onto flashdrives) put the iso on the flashdrive. I tried booting off of it and it gives me a dos-looking screen with a white blinking underscore but i cannot type and nothing is happening. What do i do?

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Why don't you use the official Windows USB/DVD Download Tool? It will "burn" the ISO to the USB stick. Works for me every time!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Use Rufus with the iso file of Windows 7.  Make sure the format box is checked. Where you see Freedos select iso image in the dropdown box. You need to create an NTFS partiton on the hard drive before you do the install. This would be a good question for the linux forum. Grub will have to be updated in order to boot Wheezy and Windows.

This is for Ubuntu but the same holds for wheezy.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/6317/how-can-i-install-windows-after-ive-installed-ubuntu

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

Use Rufus with the iso file of Windows 7.  Make sure the format box is checked. Where you see Freedos select iso image in the dropdown box. You need to create an NTFS partiton on the hard drive before you do the install. This would be a good question for the linux forum. Grub will have to be updated in order to boot Wheezy and Windows.

This is for Ubuntu but the same holds for wheezy.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/6317/how-can-i-install-windows-after-ive-installed-ubuntu

apparentally i need windows XP or higher to use it and it does not work with wine. Perhaps i misread what u said?

ooh, i have a signature

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

Okay, sorry for the confusion on my part. I was thinking you had a Windows computer available. I believe you need to format the USB flash drive as FAT32 when using Netbootin.

http://sourceforge.net/p/unetbootin/wiki/guide/

Requirements

1 GB or larger USB drive, formatted as FAT32 (most USB drives come formatted as FAT32 by default, but if you need to format it, on Windows, go to My Computer->right click your USB drive->format, or on Linux, use GParted or another partition manager)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users