Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I removed Mcafee, now have a ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

Windows 8.1, the trial period was just about up for McAfee so I removed it and now just have windows defender, is this good enough or should I install an anti-virus like avast or avira.
Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Many sources have indicated that using Windows Firewall and Windows Defender is pretty much all you need.  I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or something similar to boost your security a little.  Me?  I have numerous alligators and crocs in my castle moat 'cause I can do so  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

Did you use the McAfee Product Removal Tool to uninstall it?

If you only used the Programs and Features to uninstall McAfee there are still remnants left on the system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. If you decide to use Windows 8/10 Defender as your primary anti-virus, there is no need to install another anti-virus solution.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

I uninstalled McAfee nagware on my new 8.1 laptop. Windows Defender - not fit for purpose typically only detecting 60% to 70% of threats. I've never heard of Windows Defender as robust, its garbage.....

Get the premiere internet security system, Kaspersky Internet Security, proven to detect  and remove 99.9% of all threats. Also has built in rootkit scanner.

Don't buy as a download on their website as it's expensive, it's cheaper on Amazon for 1, 3 or 5 devices.

Security is of prime importance, never drop your guard or get complacent.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

I uninstalled McAfee nagware on my new 8.1 laptop. Windows Defender - not fit for purpose typically only detecting 60% to 70% of threats. I've never heard of Windows Defender as robust, its garbage.....

Get the premiere internet security system, Kaspersky Internet Security, proven to detect  and remove 99.9% of all threats. Also has built in rootkit scanner.

Don't buy as a download on their website as it's expensive, it's cheaper on Amazon for 1, 3 or 5 devices.

Security is of prime importance, never drop your guard or get complacent.

quietman7, if you didn't notice, has been a Microsoft MVP for nine years.  His specific area of expertise is security.  I suggest that you not only could take his word for what has been posted, but probably should as well.  What you are expressing are personal opinions which are unsupported with any facts or resources.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2015 - 04:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. Every security vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

While my personal recommendations are ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources, Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. However, if you don't want pay for an anti-virus, Windows Defender is just as good as any other free solution without bundled toolbars or nagging popups with the exception of Bitdefender.

#8 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

I apologize for any offence caused, it was unintentional. Security is a favorite subject of mine.

It is a proven fact that Kaspersky Internet Security is the best package around and is backed up by test data.

Internet security rankings consider three attributes. The first is protection against infections. The second is how much the software slows the PC that it is installed on. And the third attribute to consider is how accurately the product distinguishes between threats and files that are perfectly safe. The independent software lab AV-Test conducted protection testing in March and April of 2014 during which it subjected Kaspersky to widespread and prevalent malware that was less than four weeks old. 

This internet security software detected every one of the 20,646 samples, compared to the industry average of 98 percent detection. The protection tests also forced Kaspersky to deal with 138 samples of brand new, so-called zero-day malware, which it identified with 100 percent accuracy. In comparison, the industry average for detection of zero-day malware was 94 percent. Another section of the testing measured the average influence on system performance, to see whether the products bogged down the PCs they were installed on. The industry average was a three-second slowdown on computer speed while web surfing, file downloading, data copying, and installing and running programs. However, when AV-Test measured Kaspersky’s influence on computer speed it could find no effect. The third part of the testing measured usability defined in terms of whether the products got confused between safe files and threats. None of the best internet security software products in the test – including Kaspersky – showed confusion.

Edited by tealover, 09 October 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#9 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:23 PM

Did you use the McAfee Product Removal Tool to uninstall it?

If you only used the Programs and Features to uninstall McAfee there are still remnants left on the system.

Yes, I had it on my desktop ready to run, and got all of it out.

I also have MBAM & Superantispyware which I run once a week

Edited by Moe_P, 09 October 2015 - 05:43 PM.

Moe_P

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

It is a proven fact that Kaspersky Internet Security is the best package around and is backed up by test data.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

Free or Premium (Pro) versions?

#12 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Free or Premium (Pro) versions?

The free versions.

Moe_P

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal.

The full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. This technology dynamically blocks malware sites & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer.

That is what you need since anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is sufficient to cover the gap left by any anti-virus.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use for a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

I've been using SUPERAnti-Spyware Professional for some time now in all 3 computers.  No problems.  The Pro version includes a few goodies that might come in handy now and then.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the input.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users